Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: At long last, here it is. I've named it Monsoon. All 1494 pieces.

Blog Entries

At long last, here it is. I've named it Monsoon. All 1494 pieces.

I'm, as always, not quite there with the finish yet but I'm going to be busy this weekend so it could be another few days before I can be totally done. I'm pretty excited about this piece. I was able to learn a wealth of info and techniques. The next time I attempt something this big I'll do much better.
    The details: This piece is comprised of 1494 individual pieces. The type of woods used are: Monterillo, Curly Maple, Hard Maple, Walnut, Wenge, Black Limba, Black Ebony and Turquoise. It's 23-1/2 inches tall and 13 inches in diameter. This vessel was turned as a hollow form just for the challenge. (I'll never do that again) It's turned to a thickness of 5/16ths.

The name came from the fact that every night that I worked on it for the most part, it rained. Then I realized that the Turquoise reminded me of blue skys prevailing after a dark storm. Believe me this piece had it's stormy times durring the build, bad weather or not.
    Even though it took quite some time to build, it was an incredible experience. Some of you will rember that I started this before I built my shop.
    This is also the first piece from beginning to end on my new Jet1442VS. This is also the 15th piece I've ever made on a lathe so I have a long way to go before I can compete with the vetrans.

I'll try to take better pictures this weekend. It's too big for my photo tent so I'll improvise.

I sincerely hope you all enjoy this piece. As always, good or bad, your comments and recommendations are always appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 08-11-2007 at 4:24 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

WOW!!! That is just awesome! The joinery looks perfect. I love the wood combinations and the turquoise is fantastic! WOW!!!!

Bill that is beautiful. Wow what a piece. You certainly did a fine job on it. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    That is stunning. Very impressive and really an eye catcher. This one won't end up tucked in a corner with a dry flower arrangement in it, that's for sure.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Wow! An wow again! Very nice work Bill. I don't think I would every have the patience for something like that. Very impressive.
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Woe dude! That is totally awesome! Hey, I'm not a surfer but that was my first thought!! Great job.

Bill, great piece. It must be very satisfying to finish after putting so much time into it. thanks for sharing.
    Ben

Beautiful piece, Bill. From what I can see, you're giving the veterans a run for their money.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Wow Bill! What a great piece! Segmented pieces remind me of jigsaw puzzels. I can remember some that I had as a kid that had 1,000+ pieces. I never finished one then and that's probably why I haven't tried a big segemented piece either. Truely masterful!

Gorgeous, Bill. I would never have the patience to do something like that.

Bill that is teriffic!

I wouldn't let that one sit out, I would build me a nice matching show case for it.

Beautiful work!

DT

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. I greatly appreciate your comments. Unfortunatly I'll probably have to sell this one. It's too big to fit anywhere in my house. My house is only 1000 sq ft. and the LOML pretty much sucked all that up. I'm going to try to get it in a gallery here in town. I do just so happen to have a piece of acrilic tubing just big enough to go around it. I might just build a case for it. Good idea.
    I apologize for the crude pic. I'll take beter ones this weekend.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 08-11-2007 at 5:51 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Congrats, Bill. A lot of work went into that piece! Great job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

14. Very impressive, to say the least! Looks great! Congrats on getting it done!

A huge WOW!!!!