Thread: Some relatively thick walled turnings

Some relatively thick walled turnings

This is a deviation from the turning that I generally do.

The set of three little pots, each 4"w x 5"h, has been turned from some pretty wormy elm. As a matter of fact, a pretty fat living worm got turned in the process. Hope he enjoyed his last meal. Anyhow, usually I turn these pots to anywhere from 1/8" to maybe 1/4" thick but due to the amount of worm holes in this wood they were turned to 3/8" to 1/2" thick. (I do NOT strive for exact evenly thick walls in these things). I emphasized the holes with india ink and finished with 5 coats of cherry flavored danish oil.

The larger bowl was turned from heavily spalted, very green magnolia. It is 8.5"w x 7.5"h with walls 1.75" thick. It checked badly while being turned and I filled the cracks with CA glue and some of the larger ones with epoxy. About a month after I finished it, the cracks all closed up and pushed the fillings out. I had to resand the whole damned thing and refinish it. I thank the Lord I didn't get a chance to sell it before this happened. As a result, this bowl's original 320 grit sanding ended up at 600 grit and has probably 15 coats of various colors of danish oil. This is one heavy sucker, it is part of what I call my "paperweight" series of bowls. I have another one of these things as a work in progress and as a result of what I learned with the first one, before I got involved in finishing it, I set it aside and it did just like the other one, the cracks all closed up and pushed out the fillings. I have sanded it down but will leave it sitting a couple more weeks, just to make sure, before I get to finishing it.

Any thoughts on this heavy stuff?

Wolf
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wolf,
    I really like the magnolia one...it's very interesting... to me. It's so natural you can't help but think it's a big nut or some sort of exotic muskmelon. Well done!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Wolf, I'm with Glenn, the Magnolia is fabulous.
    I did one in wormy oak, sliced up the worm at 1200rpm, thousands of little super-thin white slices I guess. It sometimes turns out great when the wood designs itself as you go, and we just follow it.

Very nice, Wolf! I kinda like the chunky look for these pieces...it goes well with the material you were working with. Too many times we are lead to believe that thinner is better. Not so. Every turning has "the right thickness" and it's our job to find it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wolf, Jim made some good comments. I had never felt that we should be trapped into very thin vessels either. Nice work, but are you wearing a black arm band for wormy?

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

nice heavy turnings

Wolf, I actually like the concept of these heavy turnings and I will tell you what intrigues me about them.

These turnings are made from a wood and have a tone that looks good heavy. The first thing I thought of when I saw these was "floor vase". I can see these sitting on the floor or hearth with some dry grasses or flowers sticking out of them. They scream of foundation and will create an anchor to whatever space they are placed into. I seriopusly believe a lighter colored wood would make such a presence.

thanks for sharing these. They were definitely a delight to see.

keithz
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by keith zimmerman
    Wolf, I actually like the concept of these heavy turnings and I will tell you what intrigues me about them.

These turnings are made from a wood and have a tone that looks good heavy. The first thing I thought of when I saw these was "floor vase". I can see these sitting on the floor or hearth with some dry grasses or flowers sticking out of them. They scream of foundation and will create an anchor to whatever space they are placed into. I seriopusly believe a lighter colored wood would make such a presence.

thanks for sharing these. They were definitely a delight to see.

keithz
    Keith, you have me a little confused with one of your statements. You say you "seriously believe a lighter colored wood would etc..." Do you really mean that or do you mean "you seriously doubt etc...."

Generally,

As many know, magnolia is sort of a grayish colored wood. IMO, it is extremely ugly but it has such interesting spalt patterns. That's why I use the colored danish oils to dress it up. I have found that by sanding it unevenly, meaning I sand some spots 220, some 320 and some even 150 or 180 grit, the colors take on a splotchy appearance. I use basically three different color oils, walnut, cherry and fruitwood, which interact very well with the spalting. After I have the effect I want, I use several coats of natural danish to create a little buildup and a sheen somewhere between satin and gloss. It's a very arty appearance but people really seem to like it. It also works well with other "splotchy" woods such as some pieces of hackberry.

BTW, I really like that analogy of a "big nut" or "exotic muskmelon". I may use that instead of "paperweight".

Wolf

Yes Wolf, you are correct

I did misstate my comment. Thanks for catching that. I did mean that a I doubted a lighter wood would have the impact of the dark finish on the magnolia.

keithz

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kiessling
    Keith, you have me a little confused with one of your statements. You say you "seriously believe a lighter colored wood would etc..." Do you really mean that or do you mean "you seriously doubt etc...."

Generally,

As many know, magnolia is sort of a grayish colored wood. IMO, it is extremely ugly but it has such interesting spalt patterns. That's why I use the colored danish oils to dress it up. I have found that by sanding it unevenly, meaning I sand some spots 220, some 320 and some even 150 or 180 grit, the colors take on a splotchy appearance. I use basically three different color oils, walnut, cherry and fruitwood, which interact very well with the spalting. After I have the effect I want, I use several coats of natural danish to create a little buildup and a sheen somewhere between satin and gloss. It's a very arty appearance but people really seem to like it. It also works well with other "splotchy" woods such as some pieces of hackberry.

BTW, I really like that analogy of a "big nut" or "exotic muskmelon". I may use that instead of "paperweight".

Wolf
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Talking

In your original post, you indicated you used cherry "flavored" danish oil. How can you tell that, did you taste it?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ducharme
    In your original post, you indicated you used cherry "flavored" danish oil. How can you tell that, did you taste it?
    Dag nab it, Robert, you found me out. My secret vice, but only when the beer runs out.

I don't know why I say that, it's only the cherry. Whenever I refer to the fruitwood or walnut I always say color. Well, as some folks say, the mind is the second thing to go.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kiessling
    Wolf
    Wolf,
    Go ahead and use "big nut" or exotic muskmelon"...I have "paperweight" copyrighted. That's why I don't do the spiny thang anymore.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan