Thread: Sketchup of Clear Vue Cyclone

Sketchup of Clear Vue Cyclone

I've never seen a Clear Vue in person, so I'd love some feedback on this from anyone who has a Clear Vue. Especially if they are familiar with SketchUp.

The drawing is designed to be useful for shop layout. It's not at all adequate for building your own cyclone, but I did try to be as accurate as possible.

The sections are separated in the outline so that the intake and the output sections can both be rotated to fit the space requirements just like the real product. There is an X on top of the motor to rotate around while keeping everything in place.

I am especially confused by the size of the impeller housing. It seemed from my reading that it should be smaller than I drew, but the pictures I looked at showed it the same diameter as the cyclone.

Thanks for taking a look at it and if anyone can tell me about errors that should be corrected, I'd appreciate it. I've talked with Ed Morgano at Clear Vue and he has no problem with posting it to Google's 3D Warehouse, but I want it to be as accurate as reasonably possible first.

Last edited by John Schreiber; 08-14-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Improved model based on feedback received
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Very nice work, John.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John,

The proportion of the impeller housing appears to be correct. You may be thinking about the size of the impeller vs the housing, in which case you need to remember that the impeller is about 1 1/2" from the housing at one point of and about 2 1/2" at another, so a 16" impeller will take about a 20" housing.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Thanks for the feedback. I've made some corrections and improvements to the model and replaced the original.

I also added an impeller.

Hey John,

If you'd like a good book on fan design and dust collection, I'd recommend David Gingery's book on the subject. You can find Gingery books here an the eclectic Lindsay Book publishers:
    http://www.lindsaybks.com/

He packs a lot of useful information into a short easily read book. Inexpensive too! And Dave was an entertaining as well as nuts and bolts kind of guy. Condensed information and detailed drawings galore.

I've got a copy, and even have a piece of 24 in spiral pipe I'm considering converting into my first cyclone...

Thanks for the feedback on my model here. I have posted a SketchUp model of a Clear Vue CV1800 in the Google 3D Warehouse. http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...ce3cbd5765e9f6

If you are a SketchUp user, you can download the model for shop planning purposes and I think it also might be helpful in customizing your installation.

John,

I too use sketchup a lot for project planning and also for organizing the workshop. Sometimes it takes computer technology to stuff a 10 lb sausage into a 5 lb casing...

There are a lot of nice models out there for grizzly products but not nearly as many for other brands. Wouldn't it be nice/fun/useful to organize a subgroup group of interested sketchup users to model some of the more common shop equipment from other companies? Might be able to minimize wasted and duplicated effort for individuals and everyone might benefit.

I bring it up only because you are obviously very talented with sketchup and someone would need to take a lead role in making sure the quality of the work was sufficiently high.

Anyone else have interest in a project of this type?

Rick

Here are a whole shop full

http://www.yda-online.com/shopmodels.htm

I found this link on Sketchucation. I have not checked out the models but it looks good!

What? No animation with sawdust swirling about?
    Awesome job.
    Use the fence Luke