Thread: Turning Birch?

Turning Birch?

Hi,

I am a novice turner. I have only done a few pens so far, but I would like to try something bigger such as a bowl or something like that. I have a Jet VS Mini lathe, so I realize that will limit the diameter of the turning.

This weekend I cut down some birch trees, some of which have some crotch wood. How does birch turn? How big a piece could my lathe handle? What should I do to prep the turning blanks (I won't actually be able to use them for a while, until LOML gets her desk built sometime this winter)?

I am not against using this as a learning experience on the lathe. Products from the endeavor would be secondary.

Thanks,

Mike

I think any wood is good turning wood, as long as it is free. Especially when you are first starting out. As for haw good it looks and ease of turning, stability, ect. NOT SURE. But heck, it's FREE! Turn it, learn on it, enjoy the vortex!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Mike,
    Birch turns nice especally wet, sharp tooling helps avoid tear out. turn to rough size even through out and pack in paper bag with the chips from the turning, seal up and date the bag. weigh it if you have scale , weigh it every so often when it slows down or stops you can finish turn it, it will warp but cracks should be at a minimum. best time to take out a tree is mid winter , moisture content is way down less shrinkage and cracking. I have lots of it here and really like it for bowl and etc, finish with mineral oil and buff.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lutz View Post
    How big a piece could my lathe handle? Thanks, Mike
    Mike, go to your mini and measure the distance from the center of your Morse taper to the bed, subtract 1/4 to 1/2", and then double that. That is the diameter of anything you'll be able to turn on your mini. For example, I could conceivably turn something 11-1/2" on my Woodtek mini with its 12" swing. When the description of a lathe mentions the "swing", that is the distance the diameter of what you can turn (less a little for clearance - you don't want your blank to be banging on the bed - would tend to create problems you don't want to face).

Nancy (130 days)
    Last edited by Nancy Laird; 08-13-2007 at 7:38 PM. Reason: I mis-spoke and fixed it!!!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Nancy,

The Jet Mini is 1014, so it can conceiviably turn something slightly less than 10" in diameter. So if you are turning something that large in diameter how wide can it be?

Mike

Paul,

Tuning it wet may be a problem since I won't have time for a while to turn it even just to rough it in.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Michael,

Jet 1014

10 means 10" swing is largest diameter possible

14 means 14" spindle length (headstock to tailstock)

You will find that this method of model numbers on lathes is very common. Sometimes it will be reversed as in PM 3520B. This lathe has a 20" swing and 35" spindle length.

These are meant as general numbers though. You might get better or worse spindle lengths than the actual given measurement depending on how far out you overhang the tailstock or where the manufacturer measures from or how you are mounting the piece to be turned. The swing is almost always accurate. Hope this helps. (and is also accurate!)

Maximum diameter and maximum length cannot occur simultaneously, or there wouldn't be any room for the banjo. For a maximum BLANK diameter of about 9 1/2", the maximum length (depth of bowl) would be slightly less than half the length of your toolrest. Better to make it somewhat less than that to allow maneuvering the toolrest for closer approach to the cut surface. With the live center extended from the tailstock, the banjo can fit underneath it.

For maximum length (depth of bowl), measure the distance from the spindle centerline to the top of the banjo, subtract 1/4" to 1/2", and double the result for the maximum blank diameter. This way, the toolrest can be located anywhere along the workpiece and closer to the cut surface, with less chance of a catch launching the tool handle toward your face. Wear a face shield in any event.

Joe

Michael - Birch is a nice wood to work with. I've turned a number of bowls and candleholders out of birch and everyone really liked them. If you are not going to be able to turn the wood fairly soon - then make sure to seal the ends so it doesn't dry out and crack on you. I have used a few coats of latex paint and it works OK for the short haul. For longer term storage others report a lot of success with anchorseal.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Sealing the ends, in order of preference: Paraffin wax, AnchorSeal, Latex paint. If using latex paint, recoat frequently. DAMHIKT.

Joe