Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking the plunge....chuck for bowls?

Taking the plunge....chuck for bowls?

Hi everyone. A very simple question (but perhaps one with a complicated answer). I've been enjoying turning pens and small objects on my mini lathe for a while now but have decided to take the plunge and start bowls. Along those lines, I am in the process of putting together a budget to outfit my humble shop with a larger lathe and the necessary basics for bowl (and perhaps someday hollow vessel) turning. I am planning to purchase a heavy duty lathe (probably a Powermatic 3520B). I like the powermatic since I don't want to have to go bigger later and I'm not prepared to shell out the scratch for one of the premium monsters (i.e. a oneway, robust, etc).
    My question relates to the chuck requirements. What would you bowl gurus consider the appropriate chuck to purchase for bowl turning? I'll admit, I'm pretty uninformed at the moment. Seems like some use a 4 jaw chuck while others favor a vacuum chuck, etc. I can see the attraction of the vacuum chuck if I graduate into hollow vessels. Since I'd rather do it right from the beginning, can you give me some guidelines on what I should acquire at the start to attach "stuff" to the lathe? Specifics on brands would be helpful. Much appreciated. Sorry if this is a well worn topic.

Rick

Richard........I am currently turning on a Jet VS Mini. The inmates here at the turner's forum when they shoved me into the Vortex 18 months ago were smart enough to buy me a SuperNova2 chuck that will fit both a mini and a PM3520B which I hope to own in a few months. I may have to buy an adapter bushing but that's it. The SN2 is a good chuck and has served me well.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Richard - If I read your post right you are miunderstanding vacuum chucking. Vacuum chucks are usually only used to clean up the bottom after the piece has been turned they are not used for general turning of the bowl.

Get the 4 jaw chuck first and add the Vacuum later if you want. I personally have a oneway talon, but most of the major brands are good.

Also I use 2 different sets of jaws for most of my bowls #2 jaws for stuff up to 12 or 13 inches and #3 tower jaws for anything bigger then that.
    Last edited by Mike Vickery; 08-13-2007 at 10:39 PM.
    Mike Vickery

Agree with everything Mike just stated!

I also have the talon chuck and use the #2 or #3 jaws for all my bowls. Great chuck - very well made and solid as a rock! Another thing to consider - make sure you get a chuck that uses a key instead of bars. With a key you can tighten the chuck with one hand while holding the bowl blank with the other. Just a little more convenient than juggling over the lathe bed. Looking forward to seeing pictures of what you end up with!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Hello Richard,

There is a big difference between chucking for a bowl blank and chucking for finishing off the bottom of a bowl or platter via vacuum chucking.
    I have been using the SuperNova chuck for a long time now and have nothing but good experiences with the SN chuck. However, when you get ready for vacuum chucking, you'll need some extra stuff, like a vacuum pump, adapter to hook the vac-pump up to the lathe as well as a vacuum chuck to stick the bowl or platter to the vac-chuck for finishing off the bottom. When chucking either way, standard chuck or vac-chuck, you should always use the tailstock to better secure the piece to the the lathe and save the removal of the tailstock for the final finishing cuts on the bottoms of your forms.

Either way, once you go with a standard chuck, bowl and various form turning will be much easier after your initial learning curve. Once you go with a vac-chuck for finishing off the bottoms of your forms, you'll wonder how you ever got along without one.

BTW, welcome to The Vortex.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 08-14-2007 at 12:11 AM.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks for the excellent advice. Now I have a better sense as to how to proceed.

chuck for lathe

Hi Richard,
    what the others said about the vacuum chuck. Dont rule out the VicMark chuck. The dovetail grip makes for a really secure hold. Also there is less dust that gets into the gears because of the way it is made. Sure, a few bucks more but the extra cost will pay for itself in a short while. Enjoy the turning and learning, Max

Great advice in this thread! We all have our preferences relative to chucks....mine is for the OneWay products. I like their jaws better than the smooth or "dovetail" versions. Great hold without making tenons and the required shoulder harder to cut, especially for folks new to turning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Love the creek! Great information. I am now leaning toward the Oneway products, either a Talon or a Stronghold. If I understand correctly, the only disadvantage to the stronghold over the Talon is just weight and size? The price isn't that much different. I would imagine that this is not a significant factor if the item is to be used on a larger lathe (I am considering a Powermatic 3520B at the moment). Is that correct? Any reason to buy the Talon as opposed to the Stronghold if it will be used on a lathe of this size other than price?

I've also been reading a LOT of posts concerning lathe choices of late. I am leaning toward the 3520B and the price seems ok for what you get. Obviously there are a lot of folks out there who swear by the Oneway lathes and I can see the attraction. I don't want to ever buy another lathe (wishful thinking) so I'm giving this decision a lot of thought. If I chose to save for a Oneway 1640, it would postpone my plunge a bit but would it be worth it? I don't really see myself waiting long enough to buy the big Oneway 2436 nor do I anticipate a lot of turning in the >16" size. In comparing the Oneway to the Powermatic, is it like comparing a Masarati to a Corvette? i.e. both go fast, both are nice cars but the Masarati is more expensive, more prestigious, perhaps a bit more hand built, etc.? Or is there some other intangible factor that makes the Oneway just so much more worth it? Is the resale value better? Will I be sniffing after the Oneway 5 years from now once I've put in a lot of hours turning?

Rick

Richard, I have never used the Stronghold just the Talon. I will say that I have a 20 inch swing on my lathe and even with maxing it out a couple times the Talon has worked fine for me. I you plan to turn really big stuff often and have access to a lot of large wood you might want to consider the stronghold. I think the Talon will meet most woodturners needs. I will tell you a secret after a while you will probably end up with more then one chuck. So you can always get the stronghold later.
    Mike Vickery

One other thing, if you're strapped for cash you can get your four jaw chuck now and for finishing the bottom you can either go the jam chuck or friction chuck route, or you can make a donut chuck out of a spare face plate, some plywood & threaded bar. These are low cost alternatives.

For a vacuum chuck, unless you have a spare vacuum pump sitting around, you're going to start off around $150 and depending on the quality of components you're looking for, it could easily hit $250+.

They don't call it the abyss for nothing. The lathe is only a fraction of the cost .

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Braun View Post
    They don't call it the abyss for nothing. The lathe is only a fraction of the cost .
    That's the reason I'm considering buying Mustard...balance out the cost of the lathe to the cost of the accessories!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If you want to whet your appetite for bowls, Grizzly has a Vicmark copy for $100 that is a decent chuck. I have a Jet Mini and have turned bowls up to 8 inches with it. Patience is not one of my virtues.
    Determined to master the skew.....patience is a virtue

Stronghold Review

Richard,

I have the Oneway Stronghold. Its a very large chuck for a mini. You could just as easily go with a Talon and have the swappable inserts when/if you get your Powermatic. On a mini the Stronghold will continue spinning for quite a while due to its inertia. A Talon won't have as much continued velocity.

The Talon is a sure hold for anything under 16" in diameter. That doesn't mean that you can't hold larger, but its designed for under 16".

If I were to do it over again...I'd seriously look at the Nova line as well as the VicMarc. The main reason is that IF (and I have to stress this since I haven't researched) I can get multiple sized chuck bodies that fit the same jaws I'd be even happier than I am now with the Oneway line.

I have most of the jaws for my Stronghold, but those jaws won't fit a Talon, so when I bought a second chuck I got another Stronghold. Not a problem but something to consider.

For cleaning up the bottom of a bowl, check out the donut chuck (Google "Bill Grumbine" his page has directions), there is also another chuck called a Longworth Chuck (Google it and someone's site will have directions on making one). These homemade chucks work really well for all bowls except natural edge (NE) when the bowl won't sit flat upside down.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

I like my talon chuck... if you get too much bigger in size then the Talon you have a lot of chuck in the way and it is hard to get close to the foot and maneuver around in some cases. The Talon can close small and open large enough for most general needs. You can always upgrade jaws for different purposes... but I've never had troubles with the size of the #2 jaws that it came with. The advantage of these chucks is that they are super strong... they have a good tough chuck key and a good tough woodworm screw that won't snap on you like some of the others will! The price is $220 at Craft Supply, but I've seen it down to $199 and you might get it cheaper if you wait for a sale!
    Isaiah 55:6-7