Thread: Bench End Vise thourghts?

Bench End Vise thourghts?

Greetings. New to the Creek. I am going to build a new bench. I have already been given a 30" x 84" bench top from a high school. Sanding this cleaned up nicely. I want to add a vise to the end. I was looking at Veritas Twin Screw vise. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...c41659&p=45114

Has anyone installed/used this? Would you buy it again.

Thanks
    Victor

Hi Victor,
    I use mine as a front vise.

Although it works well, it can be finicky. Read the instructions, then read them again. When you've read them twice, read them again.
    This vise will not suffer sloppy installation or poor planning- go slow. Don't forget to occasionally tighten the set screws also. I enjoy using this vise.
    HTH
    Mike

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Victor, welcome to the Creek. Several members have the LV tail vise. It is very well thought of.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ditto on front vise

I use the LV on the front, too. Rarely need an end vise and then I manage with the little dohicky from LV that goes in a dog hole and screws tight against the work--ah yes, the Wonder Dog.

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread but I too have a question.

I have received my twinscrew from LV last week (after waiting 6 weeks - all takes a little longer here in Africa) It was sugested that I also take the extention plate but I desided not to do that (aditional cost) I now look at it and are not sure I made the right desision as the screws look like they are going to sit to close to one another.

What is the general view on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Stearns View Post
    Greetings. New to the Creek. I am going to build a new bench. I have already been given a 30" x 84" bench top from a high school. Sanding this cleaned up nicely. I want to add a vise to the end. I was looking at Veritas Twin Screw vise. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...c41659&p=45114

Has anyone installed/used this? Would you buy it again.

Thanks
    Victor
    Morning Victor...

I installed one several years ago on my current bench and every bench I have build for friends at their request since. It is very good in it's role as a vice with wide and even clamping between the screws. And with a little thought it can serve some multi-purpose roles other than just clamping stock that you are working on.

I rip large amounts of quite long stock (8'-14') on my TS that is set up strickly for ripping as cross-cut gets done on a SCMS with extentions. In order to do those lenghts safely in a one man operation, you have to have proper support or you have a potentially dangerous accident waiting to happen.

So.. my bench is positioned with the LV twin facing the TS front so I can get a little assist from that positive clamping effect of a Twin to provide support. It is a very versatile vise IMO, and if I could only have one vise it would be the vise I chose for that role.

Regards...

Sarge.. john thompson
    Attached Images Attached Images