Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Tour

Shop Tour

Shop Tour

I am fairly new to web forums, and have been having a great time reading posts and taking tours of other woodworker's shops, so I thought I would take some time and show you my shop.
    We retired in 1997 we started leaving Florida during the dreadfully hot summers and traveling to cooler climes in our motorhome. Then it was time to get rid of the high-maintenance home in the city and move to a simple place that was easy to take care of and as maintenance free as possible. That pretty much describes the homestead now, until you hear the size of the workshop. The building is 40x60 feet. About 1800 sq. ft. is used for the shop, and the rest for storage for hobbies and equipment. We all had to start out in small workspaces, and always dreamed of having enough space to spread out a little, and to have the space we always dreamed of having.
    I went with a steel building for ease of maintenance and very low cost. When you start pricing them you will find that it cost very little extra to build it twice the size of what you thought you could afford.
    Some of the shop cabinets look like they were made by a beginner because they were, but they still work like new after 15 years.
    Please accept this post in the manner which it is being written: and that is to show that if I was able to build my dream shop, there is hope for everyone. Don't give up you dream!

Note; There are 5 more photos, but stupid here put them in separate thread instead of here. See "More Photos thread."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Clark FL; 08-16-2007 at 11:59 AM.

More Photos

Sorry! These were susposed to be posted with the shop tour thread. I just pushed the wrong button. (New guy!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Clark FL; 08-16-2007 at 11:47 AM.

I'm jealous of the storage cabinets. I have been keeping my eye open for surplus filing cabinets, but have had no luck in finding them locally.

Kurt

Nice shop, Tom, but I see one major thing wrong with it: IT'S TOO CLEAN!!!! It looks like you had Merry Maids in to clean before you took the pictures.

Nancy (128 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I knew your shop was something special from the other thread about mobile work tables--I kept opening the photo (4th one here) and finding myself fixated. So, very nice!

Some day I'll have a space like that. Till then I love to drool over the pics from those that have one now.

Anyhow, haven't I seen this shop before. Isn't this one of the featured shops in the special issue of on of the mags (sorry, can't remember which one).

Regardless, it looks great Tom! And welcome to the creek. Look forward to seeing more!

Best,
    Tim

Tom,

What a great shop!

This serves as a little pick me up at this time. We were considering moving to a place with a little more room. We finally found a place that had a nice house with a seven car garage, three attached and four across the driveway (very difficult to find). I figured that this would be the ultimate for me but when we decided to make an offer it already had a contract on it. I was dissapointed to say the least. Now that I see what you have it might be even better to buy a house on a lot that has room for it and add a steel building for a workshop.

Any advice or suggestions or recommendations? I figure that you should know the ends and outs after having done it yourself.

Thanks! Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fierro View Post
    I kept opening the photo (4th one here) and finding myself fixated.
    Heh...Me too! Nice!
    Always remember that you are unique...just like everybody else.

I agree, too clean.

Time to make some sawdust!

Very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Loup View Post
    I'm jealous of the storage cabinets. I have been keeping my eye open for surplus filing cabinets, but have had no luck in finding them locally.

Kurt
    Kurt - Don't be jealous. Go build some!! These were some of my first cabinets, and I didn't even own a table saw yet. All the parts were cut out on a bandsaw, then nailed and glued together. All cabinets use kitchen drawer slides and they work great.

Nancy - So I cleaned the shop to take the photos!! Normally I clean it once or twice a year - whether or not it needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark FL View Post
    Nancy - So I cleaned the shop to take the photos!! Normally I clean it once or twice a year - whether or not it needs it.
    Snow shovel???

Nancy (128 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Downright disgusting! I don’t see how anyone could work in a shop like that!

Can ya tell that I’m jelous?....
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The oustide looks like a picture from Dennis Peacocks shop.

The inside SURE doesn't look like anything Dennis has ever posted here!

Sorry, Dennis ( I know you will take that comment as one of friendship) but that is the first thing that came to my mind.

nice shop.

Joe

Awesome shop! I'm just starting to noodle ideas for a house and shop (well, a SHOP and a house) that we'd build from scratch, and this sure appeals!

Jack