Thread: Newbie at making wine bottle stoppers.

Newbie at making wine bottle stoppers.

I started making these for Christmas gifts...two different woods. The reddish ones (red wine) are cedar. The yellowish ones (white wine) are sycamore. I will make a little stand for each recipient as well for storage when not used in a bottle.

Not going for any duplication as I have several other things to do and about 30 stoppers to make total...just doing random quick turnings. Hope you like and feel free to cut me down.

Regards,
    Tim B.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Nice

Very nice designs. I tried to decide which i like best, but they are all great. Nice work.

Very nice stoppers Tim! I wished my first ones turned out that well! You'll find like I did, I'm sure.....Those rascals will sell well!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Tim,
    Nice stoppers. someday I wish I could turn something as beautiful Godspeed.

Very nice stoppers. I have 20 that I need to get started on so seeing some ideas on shape is helpful. Thanks for sharing.

tim, the one shaped like a wine bottle would be nice if you used walnut and glued up a small piece of maple for the neck

Very nice Tim! That's a great start.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Nice for sure!!

I liked them, and a couple of the designs I may try. I wasn't a big fan of the shape of the last one, guess I like something to "grab on to". Nothing wrong with the stopper though, just my preference.

All of the finishing looks excellent!! Larry

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone !
    I am just a hobbyist and not looking to make money at any kind of woodworking. Most of my stuff is flat, but I have turned and given away a lot of pens. All simple, plain wood...no special glue-ups or finishes. Stoppers are so much easier because you don't have to bother with all the preparation of the brass tubes and pressing parts together.

In the future I will be making some furniture and will turn the drawer knobs. And I have an old Jeep that could use some fancy dashboard knobs too. Would love to see examples of turnings that could be adapted for my dashboard knobs...that would look fancy without much complicated preparation. My idea was to use a drill press and a circle cutter to make two "O's" in contrasting wood so one fits inside the other, glue and turn. May not be as easy as I want, though.

Does anyone have pictures?

Again, thanks!
    Tim B.