Thread: Interesting Joinery

Interesting Joinery

For those of you who get a kick out of interesting joinery, this is worth a look...

http://www.bottegamontana.com/jointsystem.html

I'll be curious to see if the patents for their wedged mortice & tenon joint are granted.

Dan

Thank you for posting this, it is very interesting and unique. I see it is patent pending, so can we still make one for private use?

I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on television. But I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. In most jurisdictions, "private use," for non-commercial purposes, is a valid defense against an infringement action. This applies even after the patent has been issued. Google relevant terms for additional insight.

Joe

You can make it... you just can't sell it. Cool joint though.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

I would hope that no patent is issued, at least on the "joint". While this may be a clever way to attach a table top, there is really nothing unique about the actual joint itself.
    The "peg" that goes through the table top is a novel solution, but the rest of the joint is just a variation on already existing M&T joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I would hope that no patent is issued, at least on the "joint". While this may be a clever way to attach a table top, there is really nothing unique about the actual joint itself.
    The "peg" that goes through the table top is a novel solution, but the rest of the joint is just a variation on already existing M&T joints.
    My thoughts, too. Although the joint is cool (if not a little gimmicky), I just don't see it as being a novel invention.

I also am not an attorney, but as an investor I've looked at many companies whose products have patents or are patent pending. They key is in the details after the patent is issued. Often what the patent covers is something very obscure and tangential to the cool new product and is easy to get around. However, that's not always the case and I don't think it would be possible to know while the patent is still pending.

As I understand it - that just means it's been applied for and is in the process.

Very cool joint and WAY beyond my ability to make.

I don't know about you, but while this twist on a wedged knock-down tennon is interesting, It looks like a solution in search of a problem.

Taste is a very subjective thing, but to my eye, the use of this technique leads to a very cluttered look.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

I'd like to see how the patent turns out...

Isn't that kind of like applying for a patent of the "whaletail" version of a dovetail joint that I saw recently? Its a creative idea and I appreciate their engineering detail, but I see where it is/can be a bit of overkill. It does have a certain "cool" factor in my opinion.

Dusty

I have a work bench that I made about 7 years ago. Four wedges hold the whole unit together. Sure came in handy during my last move.
    Gary K.

I'm sure it's a design patent, as opposed to a utility patent.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

There was a thread on Usenet rec.woodworking a while back on a guy that patented the sliding dovetail joint in 1995. Website is http://www.greendesigns.com/.

To quote the site: "At Green Design Furniture, a method of manufacturing furniture was developed using the inherent strength of the wood itself to hold the furniture together. It is a system of interlocking joinery that allows the parts to slide and lock into each other, using full-length dovetailed connections. This innovative system, developed and patented by Douglas Green, virtually eliminates the use of screws, nuts, bolts, and other fasteners."

I'm thinking about patenting what I'm calling cylindrical negative structures. These round "anti-spaces" in wood can be any diameter and length. They can be used for many purposes, e.g. attaching a knob to a drawer front, providing a route for insertion of a screw or dowel, or even for simple decoration. There are some places, though, where I wouldn't advise using them, for instance in the bottom of your boat. If anybody wants to know more, let me know, but I'll warn you it's a bit "boring"

It seems to me that if you have the ability/skill to cut the mortises, the peg & wedge would be a piece of cake.
    Am I missing something?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Max Lucciola View Post
    I'm thinking about patenting what I'm calling cylindrical negative structures. These round "anti-spaces" in wood can be any diameter and length. They can be used for many purposes, e.g. attaching a knob to a drawer front, providing a route for insertion of a screw or dowel, or even for simple decoration. There are some places, though, where I wouldn't advise using them, for instance in the bottom of your boat. If anybody wants to know more, let me know, but I'll warn you it's a bit "boring"

and, of course, its only natural enemy is the pile..

Dan that's one I 'll have to try . Thanks

Tom