Thread: Hydraulic Lift Table with Planer Question

Hydraulic Lift Table with Planer Question

If I can rearrange things a bit to make one fit, I've been toying with the idea of mounting my benchtop planer on one of those hydraulic lift tables like the one HF has
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94822
    I've found lots of threads on using these as infeed/outfeed tables but the ones I've spotted that refer to using it for a planer seem to have either a stationery planer or one on a separate shopmade stand. I'm thinking of doing this so I can raise the planer bed even with the TS (and attached foldup roller table) and use that as the outfeed table with a roller stand on the other side for infeed support. Anybody using one of those lift tables that way with a thread you could point me to?

The questions that pop into my head are these:
    Any stability issues? Pushing a board against the planer, are there issues with the lift table wanting to shift? How firmly do those casters lock?
    Any tendency for the table to rack or shift out of level if you're pushing a board against the planer?
    Use the fence Luke

Hi Doug. I have A Dewalt 735 mounted on that exact cart. I dont use the thing much and wanted to get it out of the way. I have not had any problems at all with stability. The only concern I would have would be long boards the are unsupported could cause it to tip.

Im not smart enough to post a link, but if you search "shop tour" you can see a pic of my setup, thanks

Jay
    I found it. You're actually running the planer on the lift table and not just storing it? I hadnt given it much thought but was picturing running the planer in the opposite direction from your pic and just removing the handle during planing (I assume that's a quick removal). Would that make it a bit more stable with the longer boards?
    Use the fence Luke

Hi Doug. Running the planer in the other direction of mine would definatly make it more stable. Removing the handle everytime you want to use the planer might become a pain because of the cable. The table at its highest point is about 8" below the handle. Instead of removing the handle, I would build a box for the planer to sit on to clear the handle or cut 8" off the bottom of the handle, hope this helps.

Planer Lift Cart (600 x 451).jpg

This is the one that I use for my assembly table. You raise and lower it using foot pedals so you can just leave the handle off. I am not sure if it is solid enough to keep your planner perfectly in line with an outfeed table. When I get my assemble table where I want it and the height that I want it I block the corners to make it stable. You will probably be able to make it work one way or another.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...4674_200054674

Thanks guys. I've got a HF nearby. I should probably go check out the handle & cable issue. The Northern one looks good too. Wont be able to figure out the "will one fit" (under a raised Noden bench) question until I get the bench size nailed down in the next couple weeks but I think it will work out.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Brewer View Post
    The table at its highest point is about 8" below the handle.
    Would it work to just let the planer outfeed run under the handle?