Thread: Bedding angle for scraper plane?

Bedding angle for scraper plane?

I'm making a wooden scraper plane using a jointer iron that's been ground to 45-degrees. The iron works pretty well as a hand-held scraper tilted forward about 20-30 degrees from perpindicular. The hook is turned away from the bevel and cutting done with the back of the iron.

This will be kind of a roughing scraper for removing wood fast, like flattening edge-joined panels, so I'm not looking for a super-smooth finish. Since I have a box full of these Anant jointer irons, I can grind additional irons to whatever bevel I want. But, the bedding angle will be fixed, so I'm looking for suggestions as to what will work best for this purpose. I can cut the body at 20-degrees, but an undercut bed seems like it may be a challenge to work with for securing the iron and getting the mouth angled properly.

What angle do you guys with 112-type scraper planes find most effective for stock removal?

The beauty of the scraper planes is the angle can be adjusted for the hook, which varies. Much like what one does (mostly) subconciously with a hand-held scraper.

A fixed bed scraper. I would probably skip the hook. Find an angle that sans hook produces acceptable results. I would also use a blade with teeth, much like a woodie scraper plane used with a toothed blade for preparing veneer substrate.

Makers such as LN, Hock and I suspect LV make toothed blades, but you can make your own (although it's tedious).

Take care, Mike

scraper angle

You may find someuseful info here http://www.woodworking.org/InfoExcha...pic.php?t=7684.
    My recommendation would be to use a scraper blade at least .040 thick , file at approximately 45 degrees and an burnish an agressive hook using a heavy hand with a polished hard burnisher. A thicker scraper blade with an agressive hook will do a pretty fast job of stock removal.and the burr can be burnished flat then reformed several times before repeating the filing and stoning operation. Try sharpening a thick scraper blade ,form the hook or burr and try using it by hand like a card scraper. Once you have mastered the sharpening process, notice the sweet spot angle you are holding the scraper at when using like a card scraper ,use this angle in your wood scraper.Go to www.hamlertools.blogspot.com and see the post on 25 years of scrapers and see the first one I made of wood. The angle was copied from a Stanley 80,
    Pqul
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 08-21-2007 at 9:12 AM.

Thanks for the info, Paul, intersting site, too.

I'm proceeding with a 20-degree (actually 110-degree) bedding angle, 20-30 seems to work best with the iron I'm using. I figure if I need more than 20, I can always make some wedged shims to put behind the iron.