Thread: Grizzley table saw 1023 SL possible bearing problem

Grizzley table saw 1023 SL possible bearing problem

I have the 1023 SL table saw (bought less than 4 years ago) and it has not been cutting smooth of late. Thought it was the blade (Forrest) so I bought another one and no change in the cut. I checked the set up and everything is aligned well. It has been making a humming noise at times. My thought is it needs a new arbor bearing. But at less than 4 years old would a bearing go out this soon? I do this as a hobby so the TS gets about 5-10 hours average of use a week in the shop over the last 4 years. If not the bearing what else can be causing the bad cuts? (leaves scoring marks on the rip cuts, never did this before)

Thanks,
    Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

It is hard to say with Grizzly. Now they are using better components, but a few years ago they were using crap bearings.

In my Grizzly bandsaw, I pulled and replaced all the bearing with ABEC rated bearings (from granger) in lieu of the "China" bearings that were installed by Grizzly. I did this because running the blade under moderate to high tension killed the bearings. I spent a total of $20 and an afternoon to replace the bearings and made a world of difference in cut quality.

Rick,

Do you take the blade off and let the machine run....listening for troubles? You may well be right on the bearings. They will get HOT when failing.
    I agree with Brad to stay away from the Chinese bearings - Japanese brand like Nachi are good though - I have used them before.

I remember an old trick used when working on auto engines - checking for water pump bearings, etc.... I took a steel rod (2') and used it as a "stethascope" to listen to various parts of the engine - touching it to locations and you could hear the internals better......