Thread: Laser on TV

Laser on TV

Anyone catch "Iron Chef America" last night?

The challenger, Homaro Cantu, was introduced as being a chef that uses high tech gadgets including a class 4 laser, so I watched it. I thought maybe he'd be engraving food like some of us have tried. Turned out it was not a CNC laser like ours, just a simple laser (with glass tube) that he used to carmelize and drill holes in food by holding it in the beam. probably could have done the same with a small torch and an ice pick, but he's definitely into odd cooking methods, he also used an inkjet that prints edible ink on edible paper, and nitrogen, both gas and liquid.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe Joe Joe....

You have to much free time if you are watching laser food techniques. Stick to plastic, wood, rock.... food brings ants. Ants and laser beams add up to a BBQ smell.
    Carol VanArnam Epilog Helix 60w, Corel 12, I like chocolate.....

Joe and Carol,
    Here is a good one for you. Put your beverage down first. I have a story.

Last weekend, 8-11, I felt a little bug coming on. By Monday, full blown stomach bug. Lasted way too long. Finally felt well enough to go back to lasering on 8-20. Apparantly, 9 days is plenty of time for creepy crawly things to get lost in the laser.

My basement is relatively air tight, but I do have a teenager who has friends who like to swim in the backyard pool. These same little angels also don't mind leaving doors open.

So, after several minutes of checking things out and prepping a job for the laser, I tried to run the job. Hmmm...not exactly what I wanted. Re-check settings, re-send, re-run. Still a tad off. Must be the lens. Clean the lens. It was clean. Went to look closer (eyes are not as good as they used to be) at the mirror with a flashlight and magnifying glass.

Just about knocked myself out jumping backwards. A dang spider had set up a lovely home on the plunger and all nearby parts. I had lasered said home into a rather odd collection of spider guts and web. The legs that were sort of gripping the air assist were intact and seemed to be moving!

I just thought the flashy bursts were the pine I was lasering.

My laser is now spider-free and doing a fantastic job engraving. And there is a nice sign on the door threatening bodily harm to those who leave it open.
    Leigh Costello
    Epilog Mini 24, 45W, Corel X4
    Smile, make them wonder what ya did.

I'm glad it wasn't a mouse!

Another good use for the laser that the manufacturers can use in their advertising - Pest Control!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    I'm glad it wasn't a mouse!

Another good use for the laser that the manufacturers can use in their advertising - Pest Control!
    Ever have the feeling that your being watched by your computer mouse?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it