Thread: 220v switch question

Cool 220v switch question

OK, so I'm on the final approach to getting the W&H going. It does not yet have a power switch. She's got a 2hp Baldor motor, wired for 220v. Any suggestions for a nice switch? I kind of thought about maybe springing for the magnetic switch from Grizz, but is that really necessary? Any real advantage to the mag switch, other than the safety end of it? I'm open to recommendations....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jet makes a nice one for about $12.00. It's P/N 994542. Call Jet @ 1-800-274-6848.

Note that this is for the switch only. You'll still have to buy a box to put it in. A standard 'blue' box fro HD works quite well...

General Electric CR-101 manual motor starter, just fine for 2HP.

Jet

John -

I used the Jet switch when I was restoring an on Atlas TS. Like Jim says, you will have to provide a box. I used a grey outdoor plastic one.
    The STDP switch will support 220, but don't remember the amp rating on the switch.

You are right, magnetic is a safety factor. The device won't re-start if power is lost and then reapplied.

Ted

John, If your breaker is sized correctly or your motor has a built in overload then any good double pole switch (with the proper current rating) should do fine. If not then I think you should go with the magnetic with built in overload protection. That will protect you and the motor.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Hey Don:

You sound like a guy with some switch knowledge. I'm woefully lacking in that area. I have a new minimax bs and am having switch problems. The replacment they sent me doesn't work either. I'm thinking that I should get another type of switch if I ever want to get the thing going. They have an aeg switch that has an induction coil set up to power the interlock switches. The interlock switches are nice but I don't care if I have them or not since I'm used to powering down if I'm doing anything except cutting. I have a jet exacta ts which is 220v and am wondering if I could buy one of those or something else that would work. Thanks for any info.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Not sure if you have a place already, but Grizzly makes replacement switches. I bought one when I switched (pun) from 110 to 220. It fit in the same plate. If you have to add something external, I do like the magnetic switches for safety purposes.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

MM16 switch problem is fixed. Rob @ MiniMax walked me through getting the wiring set up to match one in their shop that was know to work. Some changes were necessary and an interlock switch may not have been working properly and needed a little jarring.

For now things are fine and I'm going to try and learn the fine are of resawing veneer. Although it is not an experiance that I want to repeat, I now have a better knowledge of the wiring and how the switch functions. Does that mean that "forced learning" can be good?

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I'm all for saftey - I love magnetic switches for tools like table saw, band saw, router table: tools that get used w/ frequency and exposed blades/cutters.

But for this - the cutter didn't appear to be exposed out in the open (like a planer), and if you aren't going to use it much after this project...go w/ an inexpensive, easy to install double pole switch from HD/Lowe's. If it gets a lot of use later on, you can always upgrade.

My 2 cents.

Perry