Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YES !! Shop Finally Done

YES !! Shop Finally Done

Well, my turning dedicated garage addition is finally done . Got tired of working in part of the garage with only two light bulbs. It made good sanding/finishing next to impossible (and got mighty cold during the winter, though standing on 6-8 inches of shavings does help keep the feet - and mice - warm).

Started framing the weekend after Memorial Day and finally wrapped up some of the last details this past weekend (though there are still a couple small things I'd like to add). It's a 14'X22' addition to a detached garage, fully insulated with entry only through the garage and at least for now serves only one purpose - TURNING . Other than the occasional around-the-house DIY project I do not partake in fl*twork, so no space 'wasted' there (the table and miter saws are staying in the 'old' garage).

With the exception of the concrete slab, all the work was done by the wife and me, with help from the FIL and BIL for a roofing weekend. 100A subpanel with plenty of outlets and a hardwired electric heater, cheapo BORG parquet flooring over the poly/sleepers with insulation/subfloor base, and some BORG cabinets and shelving. Plenty of lighting - everyone else squints when I turn the lights on - one circuit with 4 8' (4x4') T8's with 65000k color bulbs and one circuit with 6 6" can lights (that one doesn't get used too much). But after what I had before, I love all the extra light.

This weekend was only the 2nd time I've turned since the project started, and wow was it was great to get back to it. Now if I can just get the 15-18 logs/large chunks of wood cut up I just might be able to actually squeeze my car back into the garage (I made sure LOML got her side back last weekend - I'm gonna need all the goodwill I can get when I float the idea of mustard or mayo light - I just don't think the Rikon is going to cut it anymore - that bottom shelf is pretty much all stuff that is too big for it).

Boy this abyss is deep .

Should have some new pieces to show next week...

As always, thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pat

Classy job....especially the flooring, trim and molding. You're right...after all that work, you deserve a classy lathe to go in it.

Nice idea to have a dedicated turning space. I did something similar for my "hand tool only" segment of my shop. Wish I have done a bit more "overkill" on my lighting....similar to your setup. Live and learn.

Congratulations on the completion of the project.

Nicley done Pat! Good lighting going on there!I'm hoping mine will be there shortly!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice, job well done. Always looking for improvements for my shop, I do not recognize the steel shelving with the open mesh shelf. Where did you get it and can you supply the name and model #?

Thanks, Jerry

That's GREAT! I'm very jealous. Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Very classy digs Pat. I must warn you though, using the words "done" and "shop" in the same sentence can be dangerous. Looks great. You'll love that lighting.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A shop is only done for long enough to get some turning time in, then you realize what is was you forgot or what you need next, then you turn some more, then you upgrade then you turn some more, then you get that accessory that you really need, then you turn some more, then you rearrange the place to suit your new style, then you turn some more...

But its a helluva start.

Great Job Pat!

I like the Boston Garden look on the floor.
    I would be more than happy to sign a petition to get you a Mustard if you think it would help.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Congratulations Pat. Your new shop is quite nice. Love the floor.

Great looking shop Pat. I would love to have real windows in my shop. Nicely done.

Wow Pat, that looks great !!!! Love the finished studio look and all the lights !
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Jerry, I actually got lucky with the shelving. The ends and crossbars are a stock item at my local HD's. The mesh shelving I bought 2-3 years ago while working as a buyer for a local foodservice distributor (that big one based in Houston with a blue cube for a logo). It's epoxy coated and used in commercial freezers and refrigerators, sized about 23" square. I picked up about 40 of them for $1 a piece on a clearance of a special order return with the intention of possibly using them in some storage closets in the basement. Never got around to that, but they fit this system just perfectly - the crossbars have a lip on the outer edge so that whatever you happen to use for shelves doesn't have to be secured to them, it'll just 'nest' and stay in place.

I also got the stand the grinder is on at the same time (for $15 if I remember right) - it's a stainless steel base for a kitchen workstation - just threw a crude caster setup on it and now I can wheel it out to the lathe when needed.
    Pat

Very nice space, Pat. And yes, you do need a little more iron to be in better proportion to the space... ...do you think that the LOYL will buy the decorating principle as a reason to upgrade?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice Pat but as already mention the words DONE and SHOP should never be used in the same sentence.

For those of you looking for the shelving Pat has it is available at WW Grainger and MSC but it IS NOT CHEAP!!
    David

Blog Entries
    Way to go Pat! I know how you feel. I still have some odds and ends to do to mine.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.