Thread: Bedroom set

Bedroom set

I made this bedroom set about 10 years ago for a client after I designed her home. I have just completed her new home and she moved the bedroom set to its new location. I was pleased that the design still worked very well in the new home. The wood is maple and walnut. I laminated yhe backrests with a curve by clamping thin sheets in a custom form and clamping with Titebond between layers. Handmade furniture is appreciated by clients and seems to stay in the family....even when they change homes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-24-2004 at 7:36 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    WowMark

Very Jeston! Still passes the test of time. Fine work and design.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Nice job, Mark. Quick question, though: Do you folks in CA ever use any of the fuzzy stuff on the floors? I notice that the last couple examples you've posted, as well as pics in your own home, all have solid surface floors. Earthquake protection? Surplus of stone? Your personal preference in media? Helps keep the house cooler in your environment? Just curious, as around these parts, stone is very expensive and most folks shy away from it, except for highlighting certain areas.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Mark, I really like the cantilever effect with the visible beam that supports the lower end of the bed...that's sharp!

John, no carpets in our house here in PA. The kitchen is full-thickness brick. The rest of the floors are wide pine. Frankly, it's easier to care for (especially with LOML's Room-Ba robotice sweeper ) and while I thought that they would be horribly cold on the feet, that hasn't proven true.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Neat stuff, Mark. Do you have any better pictures of the bed side tables? Dave.

John,
    I have been doing the "polished concrete floor" in homes for years. The flagstone I use from time to time. My work is charaterized as "rustic modren" . the material choices are mostly for asthetic reasons...I want to be able to carry the same floors out to the patios ...beyond the glass line to mute the transition from "in to out" ...The client also had many material ideas and this is the second home we worked on together so the dialog between us was well established.

Jim,
    The base is MDF with walnut veneer. I have made a few similar cantilever bed designs ...it balances the load and reduces the mass by creating a void at the floor...it is a "floating" effect
    Dave,
    I will go back to the home and try to get more pictures of the nightstands. They are on wheels and can be pullled forward as snack trays. The drawer runs leg to leg which simplifies construction and minimizes the number of elements...that is always a good thing to attempt.

Looks great like the other pieces you build. I really like your style. I strive to get there, but still have aways to go. I too like the mixture of materials.

What finish did you use, it looks so fresh i would have thought it was just delivered.

I like the inset whells on the night stands.

Also, nice table on the second post.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scott,
    Great comments, thanks! I bet your not as far as you think from doing these kind of projects. The secret is to spend time on the design and simplify it so it is easily built and looks good as well. Just brek it down into components and joints your comfortable making. I probably used Mortise and tenon for the nightstands... but double biscuits would work if that is more in line with your tools and ability. So there is always a way!

Wink

Mark, in 1967 I moved from a small farming town in Southern Illinois to an area outside Chicago. In the small farming community I was a rock musician, of sorts. After a number of months of listening to bands in the Chicago area, I sold my equipment...........I was wasting my time ..........After looking at your posts.......My wife would kill me for selling the new TS she bought me............. You craftsmanship and eye for design style and detail are fantastic......I'm jealous! My wife of 35+ years would kill me!!!!!!

Ken,
    Thank you! We all take different paths in our lives...in reading your very breif profile I can see you have accomplish a great deal and have a rich a wonderful life to be very proud of. One wonderful thing about life is that "it is never too late" to try anything that you want. My work is mostly a reflection of my passion to design. I probably had a bit of this even as a child, as most children do. The rest has been a lot of work and refinement of whatever raw ability I was given. The point is that you and all of the members on SMC have the ability to do great projects by applying their talents and looking beyond the obvious to arrive at designs that are unique. My ability as a woodworker evoved by necessity....I wanted to see my designs manifested and I simply needed to learn how to construct things. In the process I learned to love building things. These feelings and rewards are within your grasp and our other members at SMC. I hope that my posts are stimulating and the my greatest reward is to see great projects posted by other members. I do see some very nice work on SMC! The advice of what tool to buy and technique is important....the bottom line though is THE WORK ! Otherwise all the great tools don't matter. If Sam Maloof made one of his rockers with a hatchet....we would still love it! The niche for each of us is different and I encourage all of us to sketch something wonderful and then make it!
    Thank's again..
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-25-2004 at 9:54 PM.

Smile

Mark,

I was just kidding about selling my new table saw.
    After breaking my back 3 years ago I needed some physcial therapy. I built a miniature (6') gazebo for my wife's concrete geese. Though I worked most weekends the last half of 2003, I did find time to build my first piece of furniture ( Not work! Fun!). It was an oak sideboard for my wife. After it was done, she bought me a new table saw to replace my 22 year old Craftsman Direct Drive. I tried unsucccessfully to post pictures of it here. I'm not sure if it's my technicque or the security of my new computer that won't allow me to do it. My daughter, daughter-in-law and wife have already picked out my next 3 projects. Because I work in my carport, the weather here in central Idaho slows me down during the winter months. You're absolutely right it's the craft not the tools.!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-26-2004 at 1:41 PM.