Thread: Freud multi-profile shaper cutters

Question Freud multi-profile shaper cutters

Has anyone had any experience or input on using the Freud multi-profile shaper cutter systems?? (Cassette 65 molding and The UC 900 raised panel door system) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rick Cabot

I have the uc900 raised panel system. I sold my other carbide tipped panel raisers. The cut quality of this set is great. Much better than the single frued cutters that I had. I don't have the other set you asked about but wouldn't hesitate to but the panel raising set again.

I also have the UC900 set and the cut is perfect for me although I have not used it much yet. Amazon sold this set for $225 one weekend so I bought it. I also just last night ordered the RC001 and RC002 bearings to use with the UC900 on arched doors - amazon had the bearings for $30. Charles from Freud had to send me a new box as the insert on mine from Amazon was damaged but the cutters were undamaged. Charles is an awesome guy btw!

There is a Woodcraft magazine (of all publications) that has a great write up on using the UC900 set. I will see which issue it was for you.

The "Cassette 65" and the "Woodworking Box" are sets of individual knives that can be arranged in various positions in the cutter "stack" to produce different profiles. If you have a shaper and no tooling, either or both of these sets can give you a decent range of profiles for a minimum investment when compared to fixed, "single profile" cutters. The UC900 is simply a set of fixed profile cutters needed to make a raised panel door. This is a nice set but does not really provide much advantage over any other RP door tooling. If you were to buy a set of cope and stick knives from a maker like LRH or Nordic, you would see that these are also "stacked" knives that can be separated and used individually or in different combinations in a manner similar to the WB or C65. With both these sets, your profile cuts are pretty much limited to some variation of cove and bead shapes. The WB will also give you the ability to do some rabbeting and T&G cuts.
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks so much for the helpful input. I will proceed with the purchase based on your recommendations.

Rick Cabot