Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which planer on a $350 - $400 budget?

Ken,

Do you currently have a dust collector of some sort? A planer begs to be connected to a dust collector so that will also be a cost.

That said, I heard today that Steel City will be including a dust collector with their planer. I saw one today at Woodcraft and it was priced at $450, but you can get some discounts now and again and if it comes with a small one machine collector it may be worth it.

I don't know anything about this planer, but Steel City sure seems to be getting good reviews across the board.

Probably worth a look.

No DC!! Woodcraft has Steel City Planer AND DC for $450??
    Always remember that you are unique...just like everybody else.

There is a new 3 blade Ridgid out called the R4330, it sells for around $350.

I think just about all they did was to add the third blade to it. The 1300 is a very good planner, very smooth cuts. So if they added one more blade I sure it would be really smooth, maybe even not have to sand...

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/toolpreview.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    There is a new 3 blade Ridgid out called the R4330, it sells for around $350.

I think just about all they did was to add the third blade to it. The 1300 is a very good planner, very smooth cuts. So if they added one more blade I sure it would be really smooth, maybe even not have to sand...

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/toolpreview.cfm

How reliable can THAT review be? It was by a WOMAN!

OH MAN! I was SO kidding!! Please don't kill me lady woodworkers!
    Always remember that you are unique...just like everybody else.

another vote for the Ridgid

Perhaps I'm not the biggest fan or Ridgid tools in general, but I have been more than happy with the planer. I happened to get a deal (don't we all!) and paid about $315 for it. I went through the same shopping list as you are now doing- thought really hard about the DW735, but thought that with stand, o/f tables/ dust extractor etc I was going to spend a lot more, and at that point I would be better with a bigger machine. I wasn't prepared to buy something that heavy that I would have to move out of my basement in a couple of years (my wife is a medical resident and we will move house when she finishes her residency)- so I decided to hold off on a big planer until we are somewhere more settled.

I looked hard at the Makita, but couldn't find one locally and wanted to lay my hands on it first so that fell by the wayside. The DW 734 also looked really good- but I thought I was getting as good a cut and more useful things (stand, dust hood, spare blades) for less money on the Ridgid. The Delta was also on my list, but I didn't like the way the locking mechanism felt on the one I tried, so dropped that- probably many others who prefer the mechanism on the Delta compared to the Ridgid, so I think thats just a personal preference at the time.
    In the meantime the Ridgid has been great- pretty easy to set up, preset depths are useful and accurate (I cross check all my planing with a mounted Wixey gauge and a hand held digital gauge across the board- have been very happy with the results). My 1.5hp dust collector system handles it well- suggest good dust collection is a MUST HAVE for this, or probably any planer. I do have to blow some little shavings off the infeed table when feeding multiple passes- but I am a bit paranoid about keeping rollers clean and not embedding shaving marks in my boards! I should mention that I have never really tested this machine on really deep cuts- I am happy to always take a little and do a number of passes- after all, this is my spare time, not by job, so I don't have to be fast- and yes, I do sometimes do a board with my hand planes instead, just because I enjoy it. I can say that multiple shallow cuts in 12.5 inch wide oak have been no problem at all for the motor.
    I always wear ear protection- it is loud. For longer boards (over 3-4 feet), I have slight snipe problems on the tail end of the board if I don't use a support stand or lift the board a little by hand as it comes out of the machine.
    I have mine mounted on a Jet mobile base, which I find very useful- the supplied stand etc have all been first rate.
    Quality of finish has been excellent on everything apart from some very figured curly maple- I have had some chip out- recovered with my hand scrapers. I don't know if that would be avoided with a third knife or a slower feed- from what I see here from others, I suspect the answer is no. The shallow cuts may also be why I have been happy with the quality of the finish for most things.
    Can't speak to the new Ridgid model mentioned earlier- if they have maintained the quality, from the TP1300, then it should be good- and there is an extra blade to replace and more knobs, so thats always to the good! I wonder if there are some clearance deals on the TP1300 out there now- got to be a clueless Home Depot somewhere that doesnt know the difference between a Stanley No4 plane and a Ridgid plane?

best of luck with your search

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Gartin View Post
    No DC!! Woodcraft has Steel City Planer AND DC for $450??
    According to my source the promotion will start on 9/1 and will run until 3/31/2008. the collector listed below would be free with the purchase of the small planer.

Here is the description of the dust collector, they announced it at the last woodworking show.

Steel City Introduces Conveinence in a Little Package Steel City introduces their Mini Dust Collector (Model 65115) for convenience and easy portability.

The Mini Dust Collector is designed for use on the 4' dust port of virtually any machine in the woodshop. Running at 300 CFM combined with its light weight, it makes it an appealing accessory for most small shops as well as job-site dust collection needs. No need to lug around a shop vacuum or dust collector and hose again.

The Steel City Mini Dust Collector comes equipped with: a 4' quick change adapter, dust bag, six foot power cord, 30 micron bag and external brushes for quick maintenance. The Dust Collector is also backed by the Steel City Tool Work's five-year warranty.

I've seen pictures - Calling it a dust collector is a bit of a stretch, however it's true. It's really just a little blower with a bag attached. Better than nothing, for sure, but hardly what most of us think of when we think "portable dust collector". I think the impeller is about 6" or so (tho haven't seen specs).
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

22-580

I've had my Delta for about 2 years I guess and it has been great. 2-speed, cutterhead lock, zero snipe 99% of the time, and I got it for $300.

OK, so I lucked out on that price, but it has been an excellent planer.

what about a 734? I got mine for 228 shipped. i love amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    I've seen pictures - Calling it a dust collector is a bit of a stretch, however it's true. It's really just a little blower with a bag attached. Better than nothing, for sure, but hardly what most of us think of when we think "portable dust collector". I think the impeller is about 6" or so (tho haven't seen specs).
    I would agree after reading the specs, a chip collector is a better definition. But it would be a LOT better than nothing on a planer.

Quote Originally Posted by mike roe View Post
    what about a 734? I got mine for 228 shipped. i love amazon.
    Funny, i asked the same thing!!!

Got mine the same way - when dewalt had their $50 gift card rebate. That was nice
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Ken,
    I have 2 DW735s. Got one as part of a package deal with my bandsaw. I have it on CraigsList for $400, but would sell it for $350. Not a plug (unless you PM me ), but I bought my original one on CL for $400 myself--my point is that you can in fact find almost new DW735s out there for good savings.

13. The 735 with dust hood, infeed tables, etc come awefully close to a much more substantial 15" Grizzly.

I had the Ridgid for a few months before upgrading to a stationary unit. I really liked the Ridgid. I dont like HD nor am I a big fan of Ridgid. But for the price it is an excellent, well thought out machine. Includes dust hood with 2.5" (vac) and 4" opening, extra set of blades, stand, etc and LIFETIME warrenty.

Love my Rigid. With a 2.5" vacuum it's clean, cuts well, is loud, but very precise with no measureable snipe problems. Match it with a decent bandsaw and you can get any thickness wood you want, with little waste.

The infeed/outfeed tables are crucial. Also really important is a cutterhead lock.

Whatever you decide, having a jointer/planer/TS is just a ton of fun. Flat, square timber is truly a joy to use.

Jack

I was in the home depot today and saw the Ridgid 1300 for $349. Their web site show 379. If they truly are releasing the 4330 then maybe we can expect a price decrease?