Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever done something so dumb...

Have you ever done something so dumb...

Have you ever done something so dumb that you just turn out the lights in the shop and went in the house and watched TV?

I am making 2 jewelry boxes, both exactly alike.
    Yesterday I glued the bottoms on, not a big job or anything, put the glue on, line the bottom up and clamp it, takes do brains to do it.

Got them both all done, clamped up and put them on the bench to dry.

About 2 hours later I just happened to look over at both of them setting on the bench............ what a dummy, I glued the bottom on the top of one of the boxes....

I just shut the lights off went into the house and set down and watch some TV, how dumb can you get.

Now I can save it and one box may be a little shorter then the other but how dumb can you be........?

I am sure there is no one else on the forum that has done a dumb thing like this, but if you have what was it?

i blew close to $1000 on home depot maple lumber that i realized was mismatched in color so i wound up having to replace it... still a savings building my own kitchen cabinets compared to what kraftmaid would have charged! live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Have you ever done something so dumb that you just turn out the lights in the shop and went in the house and watched TV?

I am making 2 jewelry boxes, both exactly alike.
    Yesterday I glued the bottoms on, not a big job or anything, put the glue on, line the bottom up and clamp it, takes do brains to do it.

Got them both all done, clamped up and put them on the bench to dry.

About 2 hours later I just happened to look over at both of them setting on the bench............ what a dummy, I glued the bottom on the top of one of the boxes....

I just shut the lights off went into the house and set down and watch some TV, how dumb can you get.

Now I can save it and one box may be a little shorter then the other but how dumb can you be........?

I am sure there is no one else on the forum that has done a dumb thing like this, but if you have what was it?
    Bill,

Could you give us a little time frame you're looking for.....today..yesterday....last week...last month ....this year?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Does gluing your shoes to the floor count? Spilled some CA glue that I didn't notice then stood in it. Several minutes later when I went to move....
    Use the fence Luke

"Have you ever done something so dumb that you just turn out the lights in the shop and went in the house..."

Umm...ahhhh...well.... nope. Never done anything like that....
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    i blew close to $1000 on home depot maple lumber that i realized was mismatched in color so i wound up having to replace it... still a savings building my own kitchen cabinets compared to what kraftmaid would have charged! live and learn.
    I hear ya. I built my kitchen out of Teak, bought all the tools including miter saw, table saw and many other tools, plus all the fixtures, for less than Sears wanted for just a refacing.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Bill,

Could you give us a little time frame you're looking for.....today..yesterday....last week...last month ....this year?
    That was my thought. Which trip to the shop? Most times I'm dumb enough to stay out there though, at least after waolking around for a while to shrug it off. (And my best President Nixon verbage) Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Just last week, I was building a lumber rack, and glued up the supports facing the wrong direction. Boy was I pissed!

It's not about being dumb, but sometimes you rush a little, sometimes you're thinking about something else. It happens....I guess

maybe the question should be " How many times have you done something stupid in the shop? " Even at that I'm sure we all have some we remember and some we would like to forget.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Yep, Last week I was making a replacement drawer for a night stand I am fixing for a guy. When cutting the hb dt on the one peice, somehoe I managed to flip the peice around and had the tails(?) on the side peicefaceing different ways. One was facing in and the other facing out. Now this wouldn't be to bad but when useing curly maple, it is a very costly mistake.

I'm not admitting to anything, but I'm sure if you asked my wife she could tell you a tale or two about what I have done.

Two nights ago I was making a wall hung mail organizer with three brackets--left, middle, right--for the wide mail slot. This included angled cuts, a routered dado, and a short hand-cut dado.

When I was done, I had three brackets--left, middle, . . . left! Uggh!

I did what you did--turned, walked out, hit the lights, grabbed an adult bev, plopped down on the couch, and flipped to ESPN. Done.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Some days I won't even go to the shop because I know the mistake index is real hi!!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Dumb ?

Not yet. (Today anyway, but I'm still at work ) Wait til I get home!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Where do you want me to start? Yesterday? Last week?

Dumbest thing I did was to take measurements for three sets of double cabinet doors at a house. They were within a couple inches in height and width. Wrote them down in my notebook and went back to the shop and made them. Didn't write down specifically xxx HIGH and xxx WIDE. You know what I did. Felt kinda stupid with the homeowner standing there looking at me when I lifted one into place to fit it. Well, a little more than kinda.

Brain just goes into neutral. Like the first post, I nailed the bottom on the top.....but this was a full size chest. Another time cut out slots for hinge pins to fit for a chest lid....on the front.

Want me to go on?

Exit screaming, cursing and yelling at the idiot that did it, knowing that......