Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Weekend Doin's"

Smile "Weekend Doin's"

Friday August 24, 2007

"GOOD MORNING CREEKERS"!!!

Well, this has been quite the week. It has rained every day. They say we're closing in on 14" for the month, which has already made this the wettest month ever and we still have a week to go. And more rain is forecast.

My grass is nearing the point where I'm going to have to call in the local farmer to cut and bale it. I think my weekend will be spent trying to mow, as they say it's supposed to quit raining for a few days, starting today.

I will also continue to work on finishing up the dust collection for my RAS and CMS. Just have to build a couple of enclosures to help contain the saw dust.

So what's up in your neck of the woods? Work? Play? Clean?

Whatever your up to let's hear about it. Have a good weekend.

BE SAFE!

Karl
    Last edited by Karl Laustrup; 08-24-2007 at 7:48 AM.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

i know i'm gonna have about 14" of grass to cut tomorrow as well. haha. i'm not really looking forward to it but i love being outdoors so it isnt so bad.

i'm in the middle of a drill press work stand build so hopefully i get that finished up this weekend.

on top of that, i've got a couple of guitars that i need to do some more work on.

should be a quiet and relaxing weekend...and thats the way i like them.

I need to mow too. I got my 3 acres done Wednesday, but I 4 acres at my FIL's to mow. I need to get started on a commissioned jewelry box and another Newfie Sofa table.

I will mow as well when I can - 6 acres. Looks like strong T-Storms in the forecast for today. Also plan to work on ducting layout.

Temps are in the high 90's-100, have been all month, + high humidity + no ac in the shop = no fun stuff this weekend

Hopefully I can mow too. Its been since mid-week last week and we have another storm rolling in right now, then more forecast for this afternoon, tonight, and even into tomorrow. There will be some area I won't even be able to get to.

Other than that it will be serious time in the bathroom--I mean working on the bathroom. Wednesday night we gutted it down to the bare subfloor and walls. I have plumbing work, finishing touches on drywall work, priming, and ceiling painting to do while LOML will be working on preping the area above the shower for tile and cleaning, sanding and re-polying the trim we took down. The plan is to be ready to install the cement board early next week.

The aftermath of hell week is finally tapering down enough to maybe see the light, we seem to be sharing the same weather at Karl and every time we head outside to do something it rains.

Might be a reprieve in the weather this weekend, so I am hoping to get a bit more of the tree cut up into a stackable size...then get the brick molding done on the one window I've managed to install, hopefully before the siding people show up.

Kitchen cabinets are on hold, need to get all this taken care of first, but maybe we'll get out to find the "lighter" white oak Beasty wants, also need to build the HT room TV stand, and end tables, and then the upstairs corner TV stand....help!!!!!!

No cleaning this weekend, so I may be contacting that support group.

A safe and well weekend to all.

Al...who hopes to go from newbie woodworker to apprentice woodworker by the time this is all done...
    Last edited by Al Willits; 08-24-2007 at 8:34 AM.
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Wednesday was the first rain that we have seen in august. No need to mow here- with the watering restrictions and no rain, I think the grass is pretty much dead (or, if we are lucky, just dormant)

But, my daughter's soccer practice starts tomorrow so that will be fun

We had about 1.5" of rain here in Albq./Rio Rancho yesterday and last night--intersections flooded, lightening strikes, power outages, traffic jams galore. We needed the rain, but not all at one time!

Heading out on a road trip today--Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Tennessee--to visit friends and family. Gonna have the opportunity to visit some Creekers while we are gone, do a little R&R, and buy some lumber. Can you say 4/4 FAS maple at $2.40/bd.ft. and oak at $1.60/bd.ft.? I'm not telling where, though, until we get our share, then we'll let the hoards descend. Have a good one, everybody.

Nancy (119 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Tonight....maybe Saturday...a little tag-team turning......

Saturday Night.....Hot August Nights.....Concert.....this old 60's rocker is gonna party.............to "Eric Burdon and the Animals"

Sunday....recover from Saturday... Momma it hurts...Make it go away Momma
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Family activities will preclude any shop time this weekend, but I'm looking forward to being in the shop the following weekend...and week...for some quality time working on my vanities!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bought this massive pile of walnut for $50. Its cut pretty rough and I need to sort it all out badly so its not sitting outside any longer. Theres a few pieces that have the old bark still on them but they can still be salvaged.

I need to make some kind of jig to put the wood on and cut one straight edge with my circular saw.

13. Saturday morning I will be touring a millworks near Yellow Springs, Ohio. The tour was arranged by the Western Ohio Woodworking Club (WOW). Those taking the tour will meet at 7:00 AM for breakfast and the tour will start at 8:00 AM.

This is pretty early for me, but I guess I can make it.
    Tipp City, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer View Post
    I bought this massive pile of walnut for $50. Its cut pretty rough and I need to sort it all out badly so its not sitting outside any longer. Theres a few pieces that have the old bark still on them but they can still be salvaged.

I need to make some kind of jig to put the wood on and cut one straight edge with my circular saw.

Uh Robert......I believe that wood haul would be considered a gloat!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I'd like to make a little progress on a small set of drawers for my bench. I'll get to the finish stage on Mom's b-day present and of course . . . do the yards.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler