Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first turning accident of significance....

My first turning accident of significance....

Yesterday, I was turning the roughed and dried Bradford pear bowl blank given to me in Houston in June. I had it finished turned and was adding some embellishment to the rim when the piece of wood I was using to friction the rim..broke and my left hand got thrown onto the bowl. A piece of the rim broke loose sending a nice sized sliver into my left forefinger. I continued working on the piece until family members showed up for dinner. After dinner, I tried to dig the splinter out with little luck.....Hey...I'll wait until tomorrow...The resulting infection will aid it in coming out.....WRONG.....I woke up this morning with that finger red and swollen the entire length. 3 hours in the hospital a lady doctor removed it. It was about 3/8-1/2" long and about 1/8" in diameter. Now I've had a tetnus shot, an antibiotics shot, x-rays, oral antibiotics for 10 days. She didn't suture it and packed it so it would drain for a couple of days.....Oh and pain medication.....Becareful!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-27-2007 at 12:35 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ouch!
    Heal quickly!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Man - sounds like it could have been pretty bad! Glad it wasn't any worse and that you will recover!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Ouch, Ken!! I'll bet that really put a damper on your celebration last night!!

Oh, yeah. Hope it was happy!!

Nancy (117 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Man...Ken..!!!! Sorry to hear that buddy.
    Just think...once you get a vac-chuck setup? You won't have to be overly concerned about jam fitting any more. Much safer IMHO.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery bud.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sorry to hear that Ken, glad it wasn't any worse. Just the other day I was watching the sawstop videos, and my new B/s still scares the bejesus out of me. Stay safe!

Nancy.....Thanks for the birthday card. The wound didn't slow me down a bit. I did drink a little more beer than I should have. Eric Burdon and the Animals were great. He is, I noticed, older than I remember him from photos in the '60s but he still has a great voice. Overall they were great entertainment. Only disappointment, they had updated a lot of their old standards and consequently most people didn't recognize the song until they were almost over....but still....they were good.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken,

Sorry about your misfortune and thanks for posting about it. I always read about accidents, not out of some morbid fascination but as a precautionary tale. I have a tendancy, when I am hot in to turning a piece, to get caught up in what is developing and not pay the greatest of attention to safety.
    After a couple of close calls I wrote THINK in black marker on the shop wall. I am afraid I don't look at it as often as I should. Thanks for the reminder.

Hope you heal soon, regards, Steve

Ken,

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I'm glad it wasn't worse. Having an infected finger cleaned and packed is no fun, though. I still have a scar from my experience.

Speedy recovery, my friend.

As someone said about my recent burl claim:..
    "No pictures - it didn't happen." Now, wouldn't it be nice if it worked that way??? I'm really glad that your injury will be overcome. Just curious, how many lessons DID you learn from this little event?
    I watched Johannes Michaelsen use a stick for coloring, on an hat rim. Looked COOL, thought I might try it. NOW??? Not so sure.
    No pictures, REALLY, I'm squeamish.
    Change One Thing

Hey Ken,

I hope your injury heels quickly- yes- that is one area that I need to address - I need to make a custom shield for my lathe as I have been working without one and I know that one of these days something will happen so i am going to get on that write away! I should have had one installed write from the beginning.
    Brian

So sorry, and I truly hope it heals quickly.

I cut down trees sometimes and have done a few Bradford pears. They seem to break fairly easily. Is this experience going to change the way you do that particular operation in the future? Like a different species of friction wood, or gloves, or ???

As a rank amateur, I want to learn from others and this is a great opportunity for you to teach the rest of us...well, me.

Exclamation

Ouch!!!! That's got to hurt!! heal quckly!!!!!
    Have wood, will turn!!

Ouch! Heal well, Ken.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oh my that had to hurt. Heal quickly buddy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.