Thread: GOING INSANE(click to find out why)

GOING INSANE(click to find out why)

trying to get sawstop and an 18" bandsaw off their palettes...been 4 days, i am defiantly NOT lifting them with human force alone...i was thinking of a 2 ton engine crane. any other ideas are more than welcomed!

oh yeah they have to go onto mobile bases too haha!

nick,

open up the door(S) to the sawstop base. Inside are two cleats nailed to the pallet and tight to the insides of the steel cabinet. Pry them off and you can wiggle the saw off the pallet. I moved the saw off the pallet and onto a mobil base myself.....but a helper is always better. You'll probably need a plywood base fitted inside the mobile to ease the drop from the pallet to the mobile - this keeps the edge of the saw cabinet from getting too low and causing a mess..........

Bolts?

Nick,

Nice gloat! Check very carefully to make sure they arent bolted to the pallet. For about 5 minutes I was wondering how the heck I was going to get my unisaw off the pallet.....turns out there was a bolt or two going up thru the pallet in to the saw. You could only see the bolt from the inside of the pallet, and it was black. Made it very difficult to locate.

They are heavy, but as long as you can lift one side you can do it. Just assemble the mobile base, set it next to the pallet, and "walk" the saw off of the pallet and on to the base. I dont think you will need a hoist.

Hope this helps.
    Andy

Nick, I feel for you. There are several here who have done both so their should be some good suggestions.

The company I bought my SawStop from mounted it on a mobile base before it was delivered.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

You should be able to "walk it off, once the saw is completely free from the base.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall View Post
    nick,

open up the door(S) to the sawstop base. Inside are two cleats nailed to the pallet and tight to the insides of the steel cabinet. Pry them off and you can wiggle the saw off the pallet. I moved the saw off the pallet and onto a mobil base myself.....but a helper is always better. You'll probably need a plywood base fitted inside the mobile to ease the drop from the pallet to the mobile - this keeps the edge of the saw cabinet from getting too low and causing a mess..........
    i opened up the doors and checked...i see nothing. am i supposed to lift up one end while someone else gets the cleats out from under?

Nick,

I bought a 20 heavy (600 lbs) Meber bandsaw; it arrived on a pallet. Could not find any volunters so I proceeded to walk the bandsaw off the pallet onto the waiting Shop Fox base beside the pallet. The idea scared the hell out me, but I was pleasantl surprised how easy it was.

Pivot the bandsaw 90 from its resting position to tilt it down onto the floor inside the middle of the mobile base. Then gently wiggle the bandsaw at an angle off the pallet and onto the ground into the waiting mobile base. this process took 2 minutes. I am only 5'9" and 190 lbs but I had plenty of strength to complete the task.

Stupid me was grunting in the beginning until I found the BOLTS!!!! With the bolts removed it was easy. Sorry I can't help you with the Sawstop - that's several years away!

Good luck!

Bob

The Sawstop cleats are not accessible from the door. They are just little pieces of wood attached to the pallet that fit inside the bottom flanges of the cabinet base. The way to do it is to tilt the saw up on one edge and walk it until you are over one row of cleats, then let it down and walk it over the other row and off the pallet and onto your floor or mobile base.

PS the cleats are there just to limit sideways movement on the pallet, upward movement should be completely free. If you have any other issues, SS service is quite friendly on the phone.

I still have my SS pallet with original cleats, under a pile of junk in the garage. If need be I can photograph it.
    Last edited by Andrew Williams; 08-27-2007 at 10:56 PM.

You could try this method of putting a SawStop on a mobile base.

Very clever, I thought. This could conceivably be done by one person, and supports the axiom that you can't have too many clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan View Post
    You could try this method of putting a SawStop on a mobile base.

Very clever, I thought. This could conceivably be done by one person, and supports the axiom that you can't have too many clamps.
    WOAH, now that is something! but i dont think id have the heart to do that to my clamps! im just gonna suck it up and find an engine crane.

I used my engine hoist and my 4-wheelin' recovery straps. A one-man operation and went very smoothly.

You are gonna love that saw!

Is the Saw Stop shipped with the wings on or off. Either way would this saw weigh more then a 1940 Unisaw. The reason I ask is I took my Unisaw with out wings out of my truck by myself & put it on a furniture dolly & wheeled it into my shop by myself then finished the assembly with a 50" fence & router table on the left side & rocked it up onto a riser to raise the top to 36". I think its all in how you look at it & being careful comes first. If your not able to use your body in this manner without hurting yourself I think your idea of buying or renting a engine hoist is very wise.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Another option if you have a couple horses, blocks or some other way to support one side ...

I took a floor jack and put some scrap 2x4's under my saw and jacked it up, then put a sawhorse with blocking to support that side. Moved the jack to the other side and did the same. Then slide the pallet out, mobile base in. Drop everything and away you go.

No rush, no major risk to your person (assuming the horse is stable). I didn't feel rushed to get something under before someone's muscles gave out, etc.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...and+shop+crane

Here's a post by me showing the use of a 2 ton shopcrane sold at harbor freight for $129 to lift a bandsaw off my pickup and move it into the shop. I also use this method to move my PM66 around and to put it on it's mobile base. A great investment, and an EASY one-man, one-hand job this way.

Sawstop? What's a Sawstop?
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars