Thread: Delta lathe

Delta lathe

What do you guys think about this deal?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B00005V5NM

Shipping is $42, which may be a deal breaker.

I'm not sure what it normally sells for but a lathe for under $200 seems pretty good, not that I need one. I haven't even been able to find the time to use my full size lathe yet.

Go RIKON instead!

October's WOOD Magazine highly rated the RIKON 70-100. At $250, it's a bargain!

When I finally bought a mini, I bought the Rikon. But a month later I took it back - the spindle lock kept popping out and just would not hold. So I got the JET 12-20 instead.
    You can't leave footprints in the sands of time if you're sitting on your butt!

I have the Rikon and love it. My spindle lock did the same thing. I looked and the set screw was loose. Took it out put some locktite on it and it has been great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

For what it's worth, this lathe retails at HD for $299.00, and even with the shipping this is a good deal. I just bought one about a month ago and have not had any problems with it.

I have both a Delta Midi and Jet mini. In my opinion the Delta is a better lathe, the off/on switch is located in a safer spot, the belt is easier to change speeds and the bed is just a tad bit longer. Quality of both is the same. I have too many lathes now or I would be getting one of these, 3 is maxing out my space.

Marvin

Delta Lathe

If you belong to a turning club and go out for demo's that is a good one. For pens and such like, still a good buy. But if you dont have a regular size lathe and this gets in the way, financially, dont get it.Happiness with the turning bug wont last very long if you only have a mini. My thoughts on the matter, Max

I've used that lathe once or twice and it is really nice. It is a steal at that price.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Im getting this lathe for my birthday I cant wait to use it, I already have some hickory and curly maple bowl blanks

My son has a birthday next week and for six months he has wanted his own mini lathe. I read the link and bought one for him. The shipping is free. Not a bad deal for $122.00

GT