Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central Machinery / Steel City ?

Central Machinery / Steel City ?

Looking through a Harbor Freight catalog I got today in the mail they are showing a Central Machinery tilting arbor cabinet saw that looks ALOT like the Steel City saws. The side access box is painte black and the base does not look to have the beveled corners. It is 230vac, 6.9amp, 30" fence, weight 480lbs. Price $999.99. Item 93380-OCMH

vs.
    Last edited by Grant Vanbokklen; 08-28-2007 at 9:09 PM. Reason: pictures

Yep. Noted and posted a while back.

That bad boy would be a good deal with a good HF style sale along with a 20% off coupon!

Probably made at the same factory in China........Looks to have the (less expensive) Deluxe T-Square Fence & Rails (35602-35604) instead of the Industrial T-Square Fence & Rails (35622-35632).....
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Last Friday when in Sears, I saw the zip code saw (22124) on sale for $999. It comes with a genuine Biesemeyer fence system. Same basic saw as Steel City), and can often be had for less (promotions, Craftsman Club etc.) I would be leary of buying from HF, as in the future will they support this saw with service and parts- I doubt not. Remember this saw should last a lifetime.

Very interesting....
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It's obvious that they have different fences.. miter gaurge and splitter shields even though they probably come from the same plant from the outer appearance.

Two soldiers in uniform look alike standing side by side. What really needs to be compared is "what's inside" the uniform to make a comparison of "are they the same".

Maybe!.. maybe not?

Sarge..

Tomorrow

Tomorrow morning at 9:00 sharp I'll be at Harbor Freight to buy one. I'm not worried about quality, warranty, rust, reliability or getting parts. Just the fact that it kind of looks like a Steel City saw makes it a sweet deal. And the cute high school girl cashier said, "Its a pretty shade of gray." Well that just did it for me.

Wink Re: HF/ Steel City / Ebay

LMAO!! I'm gonna wait and buy one on Ebay once the Bids exceed $1400 or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Breckenridge View Post
    Tomorrow morning at 9:00 sharp I'll be at Harbor Freight to buy one. I'm not worried about quality, warranty, rust, reliability or getting parts. Just the fact that it kind of looks like a Steel City saw makes it a sweet deal. And the cute high school girl cashier said, "Its a pretty shade of gray." Well that just did it for me.

HF is starting to offer some better tools, and they're even sneaking in some Made in USA stuff - though their pricing on it is the same as anywhere else.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33867

This is one that catches my eye. If they offer replacement wheels for it, and the 1000 grit wheel is decent quality, I'll be getting it. I hate hollow grinds and I don't like the idea of having to buy gobs of abrasive paper to sharpen something without a hollow grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Breckenridge View Post
    And the cute high school girl cashier
    Obviously, I've been going to the wrong store.

Yeah, my Harbor Freight doesn't have those!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Last Friday when in Sears, I saw the zip code saw (22124) on sale for $999. It comes with a genuine Biesemeyer fence system. Same basic saw as Steel City), and can often be had for less (promotions, Craftsman Club etc.) I would be leary of buying from HF, as in the future will they support this saw with service and parts- I doubt not. Remember this saw should last a lifetime.
    The Steel City 35601 hybrid is the model that's very close to the 22124. The model pictured by the OP is an industrial 3hp cabinet saw with a very similar trunnion system to the Griz 1023...probably a 35621.

Grant - The corners on the SC cabinet are chamfered vs rounded, but there are alot of similarities. Check out the Shop Fox W1677 too...aside from being a left tilt saw, it also has alot of similarities.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have a Delta Sharpener that looks a lot like the HF model. I paid at least $130 for it 6-7 years ago. You might be able to get parts and accessories for it from Delta. I got the jointer/planer knife jig for it.

My HF is not staffed as well either.

The Harbor Freight saw is on sale for $899 right now. The guy at HF said you prepay and they have it shipped to the store. You pick it up there and pay NO shipping fees. He said he would take a coupon on top of the sale price, which brings it down to $719.

I'd like to see a review on this saw.

Deck

6.9 amps is only 1 HP at 240V. A bit underpowered, don't you think?

Their new 17" bandsaw looks a lot like the others too.

However, my local store is a small one, so I doubt they will stock them.