Thread: 18 volt batteries

18 volt batteries

I need to replace some of my DeWalt 18 volt batteries. Just looking at Amazon I see "Ni Cad" and "Xrp" batteries. Any recommendations? I use them hard.
    Thank's
    Paul

The XRP batteries with the yellow top have held up much better for me than the all black batteries. Sometimes you can get a 2-pack on sale for $99.00 at Lowes or HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dombroski View Post
    I need to replace some of my DeWalt 18 volt batteries. Just looking at Amazon I see "Ni Cad" and "Xrp" batteries. Any recommendations? I use them hard.
    Thank's
    Paul
    Have you considered having the batteries rebuilt? It's less expensive than replacement and the ones I've had rebuilt seem to hold up better and run longer between charges.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Paul - don't know if this will help but try a compny called Batteries Plus. I had to buy some special batteries for a project & nobody else had them. The guys there told me the rebuild the DeWalt batteries at a very good price & have new ones also. I think they are on line. Give it a shot.

http://www.mtobattery.com/store/

Check with the above. Jason is one of our members and was recommended when my batteries went South. His rebuilds may very well be better than new! Give him a call. (I notice his company has a new name.)

Roy

I'd have them rebuilt too. The batteries Jason rebuilt for me are better than new. He uses better cells than the OEMs and the cost is significantly lower.

http://www.batteryrebuilders.com

Do these new batteries take a special charger? I have an older 18v Dewalt with bad batteries and have been meaning to ask this question each time the new/rebuild topic is presented.

No special charger. My Ryobi batteries do take longer to charge than the used to. It was explained to me by Jason's wife(?) that this is due to the higher capacity and the rate at which the charger "fills" the batteries. However it is really worth the extra time as the batteries are now usable.

Stewart,

My understanding is that the same type of cell is used, thus the old charger works. It's been approx 8 years since I bought my DeWalt and of course the batteries finally went into "retirement." The rebuilts seem even better than the originals which may be partially attributed to advanced technology.

I noticed the new cells were nearly at full charge after sitting on the shelf for more than a month during one of my periods of lazyness. I don't recall the originals having that capacity.

You will gain more accurate information if you consult with Jason who does this professionally. To be honest, I originally approached the subject of rebuilding with a measure of skepticism but am now an advocate.

Roy

This might be something worth waiting for. i have a lot of 18v ni-cad that i think i will make the switch as they die off. i would like to see some reviews on if they are worth it though.

http://www.toologics.com/Features/AWFS_2007/Hot!_DeWalt's_New_Lithium_Ion_18v_%22Nano%22_Batte %20ry_20070721234.html

I got mine rebuilt here: http://hartsbatteries.com/

I had them back within 3 days - incredibly fast service. They worked better than new because he used a higher rated replacement cell. In addition, the price was the lowest I found.

12. Another vote for having them rebuilt. I have bought them from our favorite electronic bidding site before, and have been happy, but it would cost the same or less to get them rebuilt, and have a resource in case things go wrong

13. I'm very happy with this guy here,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/WE-REBUILD-12-18...QQcmdZViewItem
    Quick service and batteries hold charge better than new

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rybicki View Post
    I got mine rebuilt here: http://hartsbatteries.com/

I had them back within 3 days - incredibly fast service. They worked better than new because he used a higher rated replacement cell. In addition, the price was the lowest I found.
    Thanks for the kind words Steve! Glad to hear you are enjoying your rebuilds. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. info@hartsbatteries.com

this is a cool site. I started seeing a lot of hits coming from this site/thread. So I thought I would check it out.

Chris