Thread: Best String Trimmer under $200

Best String Trimmer under $200

Need to replace the string trimmer that has served me reliably for the last 10 years. I use it mostly for trimming weeds vs. edging. What do you recommend.

Thank you!

I've owned the lowest-end model straight shaft Echo string trimmer for 3 - 4 years. It is perfectly reliable, starts on the second pull, easy to change the string, and can be serviced by a local dealer (though it's never needed it). My string trimmer is used weekly for about 48 weeks of the year and has never had a problem.

Most of the commercial lawn services in this area (Central Florida) use either Echo or Stihl equipment.

Kevin

I would have to say echo as well. I have had several sub $100 trimmers and they all had short lives. I have had an echo for 4 years and it been put through its paces. No shop visits yet.
    Bryan

I've had my Stihl for 4-5 years.....it's going strong.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I've had my Stihl for 4-5 years.....it's going strong.

Same here, plus you can get different attachments for it, not cheap but it will last a long time.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Really like my Troy 4 cycle straight shaft. in it's 3rd year now and starts on the first pull every time. No more mixing gas and oil. I have the tiller and the 8 ft. pruner attachments so it has been worked purty hard. Not a Sthil, but not near the money either
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

I have a little side business mowing-landscaping that I do about 30 weeks a year or so... I have 2 brands I SWEAR by: Stihl & John Deere.
    Neither are cheap, but both are very good machines & trust me I use them more in a month than most home owners will in years. I bet the JD has at somewhere in the 300 hour range on it, only maintenance has been spark plugs.... oh yeah and a choke housing from where SOMEONE ran over it.

The Stihl sits at home waiting for the JD to die... or get run over fatally.

Greg

I have a Shindaiwa it is not under $200 but it has served me well for the past 4 years. It is a combination weed trimmer/brush trimmer. I have cut 6 inch trees down using a 90 tooth blade and cleared an acre of brush that had over grown an area that I wanted to use. Never have had any trouble with it.
    David B

Another vote for Shindaiwa. Someone broke into my garage at the old house and stole my Stihl. I like my Shin better.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Shindaiwa's the best. It's over $200, but well worth it if you can afford it. I'll never own anything else.
    Keel McDonald ><>

What Model Shindaiwa

Quote Originally Posted by Keel McDonald View Post
    Shindaiwa's the best. It's over $200, but well worth it if you can afford it. I'll never own anything else.
    Can you tell me what model Shindaiwa yuo recommend

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Moyer View Post
    Can you tell me what model Shindaiwa yuo recommend
    Bob,

I use the 22T model. I think I gave around $279 a few years back. I really hesitated to spend the money at first, but am glad I did. I use it to trim around about 150 trees around my property (3 acres). I also use it for 2 ditch lines, a retaining wall, and child's playset. It usually takes me 2 hours to trim. It never boggs down. I love it! Best of all, it's relatively light weight, which was a big concern of mine.
    Keel McDonald ><>