Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's the other Laser Warning Sign I promised..

That was great! I'll have to put it next to my warning sign that says "do not look into laser with remaining eye."
    "It always looks darkest just before it goes completely black."

Epilog Helix 50 Watt, Corel X6, Illustrator, Photoshop, Sherline Lathe, Wacom Bamboo tablet and plenty of chocolate.

Memories

I also remember punch cards and turning them in at the University computer main frame to be run. They would give you a number and you could call and see if your program had been run. Also remember standing with my relatively small stack of punch cards and seeing upper classmen turning in trays of cards to be run -- couldn't imagine it!! And on top of that, if you made ANY small error in spelling or syntax the whole program would fail to run and the computer wouldn't even give you a clue where the error was -- just failed. Very frustrating.

Another blast fromt he past -- at the same university I worked in a lab making videos -- using 2" open reel video tape decks!! BTW -- the 'portable' decks we had used 1" open reel video machines. Quite a load to haul.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Blog Entries
    Jeff,

Don't forget about the horror on people's face when the tech behind the counter tripped and spilled the card deck, requiring a multi-hour long reshuffling session.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Brings Back Great Memories

I have a photo in an old album somewhere of my Father sitting in his B-24 bomber in Italy in WWII with this sign posted just above his head. He had that sign framed and in his shop for many years afterward. I wish I knew where it ended up. Thanks for the memories and the wording. I'm going to recreate it and it will have a place of honor in my shop from now on.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Jeff,

Don't forget about the horror on people's face when the tech behind the counter tripped and spilled the card deck, requiring a multi-hour long reshuffling session.
    Never had the pleasure of punch cards, I got into small computers with the Altair, and H-8.. The Altair was just binary switches and a button, but the H8 was Octal.. The start code has been burned into my mind to the extent that I still remember it 35 years later 040100 (go) Then, they brought out Benton Harbor Basic.. hahahah.. Moved on to compiled basic in the early 80's, then C in the mid 80's and got to the point where I had good enough hand crafted C libraries that could do running translations from my old G-Wiz Basic to C on the fly..
    I wrote the first Ham radio Packet bulletin board in Canada, designed to be used with the AX.25 protocol. Haven't been anywhere near packet radio in the last 20 years, don't even know if it's still a viable communication system..
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 10-30-2010 at 9:08 PM.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it