Thread: New stuff on Lee Valley website

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon

New stuff on Lee Valley website

I just noticed a few new things on the Lee Valley website, notably handsaws made by Mike Wenzloff & Sons, and also the new plough plane. I didn't notice any mention of lead time for obtaining the saws, and I'm very interested in that, because I've had one of Mike's excellent saws on order for about four months!
    I'll be looking to see what others have to say about the new plough plane, too!
    Steve

Veritas® Small Plow Plane. Is the spending of my money on woodworking tools ever going to end???

Also spoon bits for a hand brace as well, they are really going all out aren't they.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

4. Wenzloff and Sons

I also noticed Mike W.'s saw's being offered at "the best things". with a lead time of aprox. 1-3 weeks. I went to Wenzloff & Sons website and it shows a lead time of 21 weeks. I was looking to get a new saw and holding out for a Wenzloff & Sons so this is curious..However I am sure an accurate response will be soon to follow...
    "Simplicity is at the heart of so much that is fine"
    James Krenov

The slipperiest the slippery

Go ahead buy a Wenzloff saw, thats the slipperiest slope you'll ever encounter. I bought 3 and recieved them in February. I ordered two more a week later. Its been about six months but Mike was kind enough to let me add three more to the order to be delivered with the February order. I got the invoice the other day and Mike says they will go out this week or next.

Be careful, put one of his saws in your hand and you'll only want more!!! Apparently, these saws transform sawdust into heroin or something like that. Seriously, they are just awesome tools. I'm enjoying the neander ways more and more and breathing better and better as well. Between Tom in Maine and Mike in Oregon there seems to be a serious lack of cash in Missouri but the smile on face stretches about that far in both directions. Look for a pretty serious gloat in the coming weeks.

cheers
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hammers View Post
    I also noticed Mike W.'s saw's being offered at "the best things". with a lead time of aprox. 1-3 weeks. I went to Wenzloff & Sons website and it shows a lead time of 21 weeks. I was looking to get a new saw and holding out for a Wenzloff & Sons so this is curious..However I am sure an accurate response will be soon to follow...
    Thank you for the kind words, Everyone.

Michael, the reason of the differences in timing is the difference in magnitude of orders. Lee Richmond at The Best Things placed an order early this year of such a size that it takes quite a bit of time to fulfill. Both Lee and I under estimated the shear quantity of saws he would sell. The Fine Woodworking review is what has caused an even larger spike at this time.

Both my sons have been working near exclusively on the retail side of the orders (LV/TBT) most of the year, with myself mainly working on the individual orders. We've been working 12-16 hour days, seven days a week for months and we cannot keep up.

Because I get pulled away from individual orders so much (fix machinery, pack boxes, order supplies...etc.) the individual order completion has slowed down.

We have hired a person who starts today. Hopefully this frees me up much more and makes us all more productive. Once we get moved into the larger shop, there are two other people waiting to start. We've done a few thousand saws this year...it has sort of grown faster than I have been able to. There are a few thousand more on the books.

Take care, Mike

Mike,
    This sounds like wonderful news for you and your family. I am so happy that you are prospering doing something you obviously love.
    I was curious and called The Best Things and she kindly explained some of what you relayed. I will be placing my order through them.
    It is neat that in such a technologically advanced time artisans such as yourself, and many other cottage companies are succeeding.
    Try not and work yourself to death though! I hope you find time to enjoy your success!
    "Simplicity is at the heart of so much that is fine"
    James Krenov

Mike, that's great news that your business is prospering so well. Generally the pickings are thin in the custom tool maker market (Steve Knight for example). It is always great to hear that a fellow WWer is doing well. I don't have any of your saws yet, hopefully a local Arkie will buy one and let me try it, or I will get a bonus at work or something. Winning the lottery is also an option.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Waiting on my stair saws

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Veritas® Small Plow Plane. Is the spending of my money on woodworking tools ever going to end???
    NO!

Ain't it fun though?

Ah, Wenzloff saws

Similar to Steve, I've been waiting since April and Mike tells me that mine are also either on their way or soon will be.

I'm like a 6 year old on Christmas eve, I just can hardly stand it. I have been where Mike is business wise and know all to well what he is going through. As such, I knew it would be a long, maybe even a long, time, before I sever saw my saws, so I have been extremely patient.

Recent emails with Mike however, have me starting to really start to anticipate their arrival, I can hardly stand it anymore.

Back towards the end of 06, I decided to sell of my LNs and order up 2 saws from Mike. He and I exchanged several emails whilst I described the kinds of work I had in mind, my likes, etc., then he made suggestions and we came up with the specs. When done, I will have 2 handcrafted saws by Mike himself and I really look forward to 20-30 years from now and looking back while using them.

So now he is 21 weeks to starting to process an order which takes another 10-16 weeks. Sure am glad I ordered when I did and I am really glad I ordered from Mike and not through LV or TBT (no offense to either of them) but to have one of a group that help made (no doubt every bit as good of quality) or ones that Mike has made for me, that's a no brainer!!

Soon , , , , Soon, guess when they do, Ill have to post pics.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Holding out hope

I put a carcass saw with 14ppi and x-cut on order last February. The previous poster is right it's just like Christmas used to be as a kid...oh the anticipation!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    It took a while,but I was able finally to go into Lee Valley Tools and not buy something. Shocked my sister when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Darby View Post
    It took a while,but I was able finally to go into Lee Valley Tools and not buy something. Shocked my sister when it happened.
    HERESY!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Anyone spot the 30th Anniversary Stainlees Steel edge plane on the LV site?

It looks sweet