Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measuring Tools

Measuring Tools

I have a few measuring tools, you know, you basic HD stuff: Speed Square, Combination Square, cheap plastic bevel square. I am looking to spend a little more on a try square, or a couple, and a bevel square. While not looking to spend $100. for a Starrett square, I want to get the best within reason. Where should I look?

Thanks to all.

In my opinion, you want to get good squares since they are the basis of making square work. Engineer's squares are not that expensive - you should get several in different sizes.

For combination squares, my favorite is the Mitutoyo, made in Japan. You can find them used on eBay. They're as expensive as Starrett but I find they operate smoother. They're accurate and stand up to the knocks of a shop. Starretts are good but don't slide as nicely.

Any quality combination square you purchase - Starrett, Mitutoyo, Brown and Sharpe, etc. - will hold it's value. If you decide you don't like it at some time, you'll get almost your full purchase price back when you sell it.

I can guarantee that if you buy cheap squares, you'll be buying again later. It's always more expensive to buy twice.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Dwain, I agree completely with Mike Henderson: spend the money on the front end and get good layout equipment. Your work depends on it. If you use sloppy equipmemnt you will end up disappointed with your work.

I have a nice 12" Starrett combo square with all the attachments I inherited from my father. I seldom use it. I find I use a little 4" double square or a 6" combination square most of the time. They are handier than the big 12" combo and perfectly satisfactory for most tasks in my shop. With a 6" combo, a good steel rule and a good sliding bevel, you can handle 99.9% of your layout work.

For a sliding bevel guage, the Veritas one sold by Lee Valley is excellent. The locking mechanism folds back into the handle and stays out of the way - a nice feature.

I also agree with Mike on the quality of the brands he recommends. While I don't think you can ever go wrong with Starrett, Mitutoyo and Brown and Sharpe both make high quality stuff. You might also look at Lee Valley. They sell the Veritas sliding bevel I mentioned above, a nice little 4" double square and a host of other layout tools that are less expensive than the major brands.

Hank

I have the Veritas 4" double square and the Starett 6" combo (off ebay) and love them. Use them all the time when I'm able to get in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Lambrigger View Post
    I have a few measuring tools, you know, you basic HD stuff: Speed Square, Combination Square, cheap plastic bevel square. I am looking to spend a little more on a try square, or a couple, and a bevel square. While not looking to spend $100. for a Starrett square, I want to get the best within reason. Where should I look?

Thanks to all.
    Dwain,

All of the things you mentioned contain "square". Are you trying to measure "squareness" or using them for something else?

I have most of what you mention including a Starrett Combo Square. I find it useful for measuring offsets and such, but it's NOT really square. Maybe because of use, mine is off square and varies depending on where you clamp it down.

For measuring squareness, I now use a Incra Guaranteed Square that I got it from Woodcraft. It's a pricey little bugger but more accurate than the Starrett.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Used maybe

If your interested in top of the line used there's a thread here about brass city toolworks. Walt has alot of used Starrett on his site. The british made steel squares that LV sell are cheap and hold up really well. I've dropped several of them and never went out of square.

If you are feeling flush, lash out on a 6" square from Colen Clenton. This one is in Ebony and new to the workshop.

Crown make a 4" version of this which it very nicely finished, inexpensive (bargain price!) and a great size for smaller joints. I have a couple of 12"/300mm Starrett combo squares, but generally find them too large.

The other one I enjoy (have had it a long time) is a Starret 6" double square. Pictured below with a few marking knives - you need those as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dan, I'm afraid your Starrett was damaged at one point in the past. I've never seen a tool from them that didn't meet their specs. They do have a repair service and I would suggest having them take a look at it and make the repair. Before doing it however you might want to disassemble it and clean out the slot and the accompanying parts. Even a small bit of sawdust or grit in the slot or on the tightening rod can make a big difference in accuracy.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I work for a company that sells this type of tools and can tell you that you get what you pay for. Buy cheap and get bit.
    After seeing so many lesser brands returned I really came to understand their tolerances and workmanship.
    If your not square, nothing you build will fit and you will become so frustrated. You will save more money by getting a good piece up front compared to the cost of wood you will waste trying to figure out why things are not working. From lay out to setting up machines, this is a basic must.
    Mitutoyo and Starett are what I am familiar with and can vouch for.
    Dave is correct, Starrett will service your dammaged piece. They have been in bussiness this long for a good reason..quality, customer service.
    "Simplicity is at the heart of so much that is fine"
    James Krenov

All,

Thanks for the great feedback. I just call Walt at Brass City Tools and he had a Starrett 12" combo square, and I picked it up. I am going to buy the Incra Guarantee Square (5") with the next pay check. I am thinking that veritas bevel square and the 7" Incra Guarantee Square and next on the wish list.

Again, I appreciate the feedback, it's one of the reasons I am here.

Make your own...

I received "Tool Making Projects for Joinery and Woodworking" by Steve Olesin http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Making-Pr...8577321&sr=8-4

a while back and have had a blast making almost everything in the book. I have also found shop notes a great resource for tool making (including measuring and marking tools) over the years.

Tom

As far as measuring goes, I use an incra ruler and a little T square also from incra.

Been using Starrett squares and rulers for 35 years and they are the same ones I bought 35 years ago. As many have already pointed out this is not the area in which you want to go "on the cheap".
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Dan, I'm afraid your Starrett was damaged at one point in the past. I've never seen a tool from them that didn't meet their specs. They do have a repair service and I would suggest having them take a look at it and make the repair. Before doing it however you might want to disassemble it and clean out the slot and the accompanying parts. Even a small bit of sawdust or grit in the slot or on the tightening rod can make a big difference in accuracy.
    Dave,

I'll give that a try.

Thanks,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

My dad bought be a Starrett 12" combination square and a 6" double square for Christmas last year.

Best. Christmas. Evar.

Seriously -- these tools, particularly that little double square are the most used tools in the entire shop. A machinist friend of mine swears by Starrett. They are the real deal.

That said, I've also had very good luck with my 12" combo square from Rockler. Their house brand, cost about $30, I think. It was a huge improvement over my craptacular, Home Depot un-square that I was struggling with. Having a reliable square helps you develop a lot of confidence when you're just starting out. Hank also recommended Lee Valley -- I haven't used their measuring/layout tools myself, but I've never gone wrong buying anything from those wonderful Canucks.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut