Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elbo Tool

Elbo Tool

Anyone ever see one of these used? I am about to get hollower and looking at this but not sure how well it works other than the video. Pros or Cons?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcuUzgbr6hs
    http://www.elbotool.com/

An interesting concept. But I don't see any superiority over a captive D-handle rig, DIY or store-bought. I expect that torque could place a severe load on all those journals, to their detriment; longer journals would be less vulnerable to wear. Even so, the complexity doesn't bring added value to the party, IMHO. I like the idea of the magnetic switch to hold the laser arm, but you could add that to any such apparatus.

No offense to the inventors, and I admire their creativity. But I don't think they've made a case for their improvement.

Just my 1.5 cents' worth.

Joe

Elbo

Too many movin' parts fer me.

Roy

I used one of these during a demo at our club a couple of weeks ago. We used this and the Jamison system. When set up properly their performance was virtually identical.

I'm not in the market for a hollowing system right now, but when that time comes, the Elbo is probably the way I will go. I think it would be better than the standard D-Handle in the somewhat confined space of my basement shop.

Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

i have one and i like it, you do not have to have large lathe, it can even be used on mini lathe, it will be demo by nick cook at nc symposium in october

Using tailstock is good and bad

I have one of the early ones. Don't use it much. With the tailstock fixing the tool you can run out of room to handle the tool when doing hollow forms. Unless you have a long bed. With other systems you don't need the tail stock. Also you are working from the side, instead of the end of the lathe.
    Jerry Hall

Quote Originally Posted by JerHall View Post
    Also you are working from the side, instead of the end of the lathe.
    Can you explain what you mean by that?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

with the jammison system you turn from the end of the ways but with the elbo tool you turn with both hands on the tool in the normal position standing at the side of the lathe, you must have more room with the jamision symstem, but with the elbo system you must have 24 inches from the end of mounted hf to the tailstock (chuck, hf, 24'" folded tool, tail stock) for 10 to 12" vases need 39 to 42" bed
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 09-01-2007 at 12:13 PM. Reason: clarifaction

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    with the jammison system you turn from the end of the ways but with the elbo tool you turn with both hands on the tool in the normal position standing at the side of the lathe, you must have more room with the jamision symstem, but with the elbo system you must have 24 inches from the end of mounted hf to the tailstock (chuck, hf, 24'" folded tool, tail stock) for 10 to 12" vases need 39 to 42" bed
    That's very interesting. At our club meeting, everybody who tried out the Jamison system, including the guy who owns it, turned with both hands on the tool standing in the normal position beside the lathe. Are you saying that you stand out beyond where the tailstock would be? Do you find that you have better control from out there? I don't suppose you have a picture of you working with it?

Jason

i just assumed that what you did from looking at pictures of the system, i have only used the elbo tool,

the elbo tool does have an adapter so that one can use on mini lathe that is not as long as 42"

the jamieson system requires 2 1/2" gap between the bed ways, i assume that is only found in large and more expensive lathes

my delta has 1 1/2" between the ways (i wood like to upgrade my delta but the feature i would like to improve is electronic variable speed)

the elbo tool adjusts to the tail stock or adapter, rotate cylinder 1" out or attach to shaft of adapter and brackets from elbo tool are screwed tight

the jamieson system requires 2 1/2" gap between the bed ways, i assume that is only found in large and more expensive lathes
    Where did you get that bit of misinformation???

spring summer issue of craft supplies catalog 2007 page 24

shortbed tool rest assembly
    longbed tool rest assembly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 09-01-2007 at 3:33 PM.

Jason: "also you are working from the side, not the end"

I think others have responded to my point. I most frequently like working from the end of the lathe rather than leaning over, peering in. For example watching the cutter as it enters and exits the hollow form is awkward and risky from the front side for me. I do most of my hollowing without a captured bar, and it is much easier for me and my back with that method to do it from the tailstock end. I believe if I got a Jamison type system I would be more comfortable that way as well, but don't know for sure. I have a sliding headstock so it makes it easy to get in position face on to the hollow form opening from the tailstock end. Hope this clarifies my perspective. Good discussion. Lots of ways will work.
    Jerry Hall

spring summer issue of craft supplies catalog 2007 page 24

shortbed tool rest assembly
    longbed tool rest assembly
    Ahhh. Well, they left out some vital information.

http://www.lylejamieson.com/tools/to...ustrations.asp

http://www.oneway.on.ca/coring/clamp_block.htm