Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elbo Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Stinson View Post
    yes they did, craft supplies makes it seem that other sizes are not avaliable or not avaliable from them to order different sizes order direct i guess

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    yes they did, craft supplies makes it seem that other sizes are not avaliable or not avaliable from them to order different sizes order direct i guess
    Yes, BUT: The short bed version has its own tool post, so you could borrow the receiving nut (under bed) from your unused banjo, whatever the bed gap. For the long bed version, you still need to use your existing banjo, so you might appear to be stuck. On the other hand, I've welded up some receiving nuts for a few accessories such as steady rests, and it's fairly easy to make one to suit.

Joe

Travis is right. Jamison's rig or the Monster rig will fit any lathe. The monster rig I have, you just call with your type of lathe and he will make it fit. I use it on my C-man that I leave it set up there most of the time but will move it to the Nova and he just made me a clamp piece that fits the gap for it so I can use it on either lathe by just removing the clamping bar. I tried the elbow tool and didn't like it. To many moving parts for me.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I bought the Elbo Tool last February at DWR in Mesa, AZ. I stayed in touch with the inventor and put together the instructions for it that you can download off the website: http://www.elbotool.com/assets/ElboToolInstructions.pdf
    He's now got a really clever solution for using it on a mini lathe.

I haven't used it that much because I haven't been able to turn for several months now due to health problems. I used the Jamieson system when Jamieson was demonstrating it at the Packard booth in Louisville last year and from what I can tell both do the same thing equally well but the Elbo Tool is much cheaper. BTW, I think this is my first post after lurking for a year.........Ron

I have used many hollowing systems but find the Elbo to be the easiest, simplest, and fastest setup of all. I, like some others don't understand standing at the end of the lathe to hollow. The Elbo is built like a tank and is pure simplicity in design and operation. Elbo makes a simple bed extension that allows the tool to be used on a shortbed lathe and that's hard to do with a d-handle type tool.

Even better, all of your current tools are adaptable to the Elbo. I especially like the Sorby Hooker.

Rude said it best....

Dale Stagg said: "I, like some others don't understand standing at the end of the lathe to hollow. ...."

Rude Osolnik (1915 - 2001) Originator of the 3520:

"And I would turn the outside and then start on the inside. And that’s where I came up with the idea of having Powermatic design a moveable head that slides back and forth, because it used to be you had to lean over your machine to work on the inside. And I had that designed so that the head stock could move down, and I could stand directly in front of it and turn." (From an Oral History)
    Jerry Hall

A pivoting headstock also comes in handy for deep hollowing. The pivot allows for viewing inside the piece without bending over the center of the lathe bed. It also helps keep the hollowing rig centered over the lathe bed (you swing the piece towards you rather than swinging the rig away from you to undercut the top rim).