2 0.70%
  • 86-90

1 0.35%
  • 91 or wiser

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your age

What is your age

This is a complete ripoff on my part from a poll I saw on another woodworking forum, but it got me to wondering...

By the way, I set the poll not to show each user's response in case anyone is sensitive about their age

Good info Steven. I was kinda curious about this type info as well.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Yep....its seems to be going the direction I figured. Ever notice all us old farts at the Woodworking shows? We is just like it.
    I'm thinking we need to somehow, someway, get woodworking back into schools. It sure seems to be tied into when they halted programs across the board/ country. I dont know, might just be me....but I feel the younger generation is missing out. Could be I'm missing out on what they do. I do pity the wood tool manufacturers/ industry in 20 or so years.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Denby View Post
    Yep....its seems to be going the direction I figured. Ever notice all us old farts at the Woodworking shows? We is just like it.
    I'm thinking we need to somehow, someway, get woodworking back into schools. It sure seems to be tied into when they halted programs across the board/ country. I dont know, might just be me....but I feel the younger generation is missing out. Could be I'm missing out on what they do. I do pity the wood tool manufacturers/ industry in 20 or so years.
    I remember the WW11 guys saying the same thing. "Baby Boomers are not going to like woodworking...the hobby will die"
    I think woodworking will continue because I hear all the time about how they got started. Alot of them started when they did home improvement. As long as houses are made of wood...the hobby will be safe. IMNSHO

Gary K.

If I'm reading it right - I've got a good 15-25 years left in me for doing this stuff...

Great!!!! Maybe I'll get it right by then.
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Beckham View Post
    If I'm reading it right - I've got a good 15-25 years left in me for doing this stuff...

If my dad is any indication (he hasn't voted yet) I've got a good 30 years left. I should learn something by then.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I voted 18-25, then realized that I am 27.

I cant say I'm shocked to see that most of you are older guys, since stuff like TVs, computers and video games weren't even around when you were growing up.... I kid, I kid.

Seriously though, I would like it if more people my age (or younger) were into Woodworking, because I tend to feel like a loner when I am the only one in my circle of friends who can truly admire a well built piece of furniture.

Steven,

Send a Private Message to Aaron Koehl our System Administrator and ask him to provide the average age of all SawMill Creek Members. Aaron can query our database and find the average age from every Member who has ever registered.

I should have replied yesterday, I was only 45 then.
    Kurt

Zeroing in on woodworking is just like me zeroing in on the winning Powerball lottery numbers. I figure another 50 years or so and I'll have both of them whipped
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Beckham View Post

Mind if I paraphrase this?

Great!!!! Maybe I'll get my shop finished by then.

Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Nice idea, Steven.

The lack of wood shop in schools does play a part in the age distribution. We had it in the Jr High, late 50's, but was discontinued by the time I graduated in 1964.

Another factor contributing to the age distribution may be the availability of disposable income and time. Woodworking is not cheap or fast.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, looking forward to two days w/o rain!
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Oh What a Question! I feel 35. A act 11. I look ...well nevermind. I still have good hand coordination and if I am any thing like Sam Maloof count me in for at least another 30
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I guess I like older company. I taught at a sea kayak symposium this summer and it seemed like everyone was my age (57). The organizers kept track and announced the average age was 49. That seems right in line with this survey.

I wouldn't worry too much about the younger folks. They are going to be inclined toward more adrenaline producing hobbies (as I, and I bet most of you, were.) till they come to their senses. They, and we, will be just fine.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.