Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini CV06 Clear Vew Cyclone vs Oneida Dust Deputy

Mini CV06 Clear Vew Cyclone vs Oneida Dust Deputy

I realize that this is another one of those one tool compared to another posts. Unfortunately there is nowhere that I can go to see either of these in person, so I'd appreciate your input. Yes I know that a "full blown" dust collection system is needed and necessary, but for now I'm not going there. My wife and I plan to move within the next two years (possibly as soon as one year from now) where I'll be able to have a more dedicated place for a shop. I'm also somewhat short of funds for much more than something like the Mini Clear Vew or Oneida Dust Devil so that all the chips and dust don't end up in my Shop Vac.

Major tools include table saw, 8" jointer, 13" planer, band saw and miter saw. I may also hook up my Bosch sander.

Any input on these two cyclones that could be used with my present Shop Vac would be greatly appreciated including pictures of your mobile set up. If there is something that is better that's less than $400 I'd appreciate hearing about that as well, but my present limit has to be $400 including s/h. In other words I'd like to get the best "collection for my bucks" under that amount. While I know that fine dust is the biggest problem health wise, getting rid of the chips and saw dust are my first priority for now. As I said, I don't plan to be in this shop for much longer and I do plan to make a dust collection my top priority in my next shop.

Thank you for your input. You peiople here are the best.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Neither of these is appropriate for collecting from the jointer and planer...way too much volume, IMHO. You'd be better off buying a basic 1.5hp 12" impeller single stage PC to do your chip collection for now and then move to the full size cyclone system once you get yourself moved.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Don,
    I would opt for a 1 1/2 or 2hp full size dust collector. You should be able to get one of those well within your budget & you will have something that will do a much better job than a shop vac.

Cool

Thanks guys. I was sure that's what you would say. SWMBO always listens to your input on such things. Now, any recommendations on a 1 1/2 or 2hp full size dust collector?
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Here is a link to dust collectors at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_/0...dust+collector

Chris, thanks for the link. I've been looking there for a while. Amazon seems to have a lot of choices.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Don,
    Penn State has their 2 hp 1500 cfm dust collector (DC2000B) on sale for $369.95. This may put you a tad over $400 with shipping, but you would have plenty of room to upgrade later and keep this collector. It is 220 V, however.

I also agree with Jim, I own an Oneida Dust Deputy and it's really best suited for sanding dust (hooked up to a ROS, for example)
    Good luck,
    Lee

FWIW, I use the mini clearvue with a shopvac on my tablesaw, 12" planer, 6" bench top jointer, etc. It doesn't clear the cabinet on the table saw, but it's better than nothing. On the planer, it seems top do a good job of keeping the cutting area clean. My biggest challenge is remembering to empty the bucket under the cyclone. 5-gallons gills up rather quick when planning 4/4 down to 3/4. I'm hoding up and saving all my dollars till I can afford the cyclone. It's my next major purchase. Till then, this at least keeps the shop a little cleaner than nothing and keeps my shop vac from bogging down.

Tim

Tim, thanks for that input.

In went to Rockler today and saw the Jet 1 1/2 hp, but they only had the model with the canister on top in stock. I have an email into WoodCraft to see what they have in stock. I'd rather buy locally than have one shipped even with Amazon's free shipping. That Jet is a mighty big piece of equipment.

My local Lowes and Home Depot are rather useless when it comes to DC. The only thing Lowes has is the Delta 1 hp and the big orange box has nothing.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

The canister filter is better than the bags, IMHO...a lot more surface area in the pleats and you can use a solid lower bag for easy disposal of what you collect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm sure it is, but at $500 it's out of reach right now. I do like the possibility of upgrading to the canister later on.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

A lot of guys have had good results with the Harbor Freight "2 hp" DC, and adding a cartridge filter from Wynn Environmental. I think you can get the whole rig for somewhere around $300. Not a cyclone, but beats the pants off a shop vac.

Don, thanks for the "heads-up" on the HF. I'm reconsidering the Jet with the canister. SWMBO has given her tentative approval. I think her biggest concern was size, not cost. Since the model without the canisted is the same size, there should be no problem there. Now I have to rething the $$ impact on my already stretched budget. I think I can swing it.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Don,
    last week in Lowe's I saw the delta -570 dust collector on sale that won editor's pick in last years mobile dust collector review in FWW?(I think that was the mag). I got mine there on sale for around $130. It is now on clearance, I can't remember the price, but saw the "clearance" tag on it. I think this might be similar to the biesemeyer fence deal, in that there are probably stores with these sitting up on the shelf that they don't know about, which you could find and bargain down.

This is the 1.5 HP one, it comes with a 1 micron felt bag, and beat the others in the article. You can put a canister filter on it if desired, I have the link on the how-to article. I like mine.

Dave, thanks for reminding me about the recent Fine Woodworking article on dust collection. That will help a lot. If you saw the Delta 50-760 that would be one to consider. Unfortunately my closest Lowes only carries the 1 hp Delta that I've already decided isn't what I need. I'll check just to be sure. Perhaps they have the 50-760 hiding some place. I guess that my local Lowes is a different company than the ones that everyone else goes to. I have yet to see any tools on clearance there.

The FWW article also rated the Jet DC-1100A "Best Overall." I was looking at the Jet DC-1100CK (canister in place of top bag) at Rockler. That may still be what I end up with. I do like the idea of a canister. Like Jim mentioned it does have alot more surface area than a bag. They also filter finer particles than the normal bags.

Right now we're having the same weather you are -- 110+ -- so I decided to wait a while. In this heat I'm not going to be doing much woodworking or running around to stores. In the mean time perhaps the 1100CK will go on sale or the Amazon price will drop and I can also read more about dust collectors. I've never had one.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 09-03-2007 at 10:11 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps