Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sears Compucarve meets the need.

Paint

I use Rust Oleum Painter's Touch Latex paint for the letters. Spray paint was too thin and wicked up the grain even on some that I had put sanding sealer over first.

Since the letters are V carved with a V60 degree bit there is lots of room for paint. I slobber it on and keep cleaning out the letters. After it is dry I hit it with 120 grit then stain 3 times. Using LP air to blow the stain out the letters and the carvings while wearing a respirator.

Thanks for asking.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by AL Ursich View Post
    My Labor Day was a full work day staining Quilt and CD Rack parts. Have 85 sets and 3 coats of MinWax Stain looks great. My Carve machine has been humming all day, over 12 hours pumping out Bears. I am almost out of Scrap Wood.....

AL
    Hi, Al

Thanks for posting some of your interesting work and techniques.

What's the flat black box thing hanging off the right side of your compucarve machine, underneath the transparent lid? Is this for dust collection? If so, could you describe it a bit?

I'm just starting out with the machine, and am looking for an effective way to manage the dust it puts out.

Thanks,
    Sam

Thanks Guys.

Sears is the best place to buy one with the Tool Club discounts. I built the top box from copper Circuit board material and painted it. Used copper because I know of at least a dozen units that were killed from Static Electricity of a Shop Vac moving the chips through the hose. This can build up static in the range of 10 thousand volts. So many posts start out.... I finished my project, Vacuumed it out and now it won't come on????......

I really helps remove the chips but it is way too big.... I draw a suction from the bottom and the one in front. That machine is down because the bearings did not fix my problem of Air Carving. There is a bit flag on the right side and when the Z head is going down to touch it and determine bit length it stops 1 inch above the flag. Every time, same place.... The computer is looking for a increase in current on the Z motor equaling a touch. Thought it was the bearings. LHR the maker now thinks it is the flex cable feeding the data and power. A redesigned one is on it's way to me. At 444 hours and out of warranty I will pay for it.

I am using my back up machine that only has 60 hours on it. It only has a bottom suction. I am going to pick up some copper pipe and fittings in the inch and a half range and make a suction for that machine using the right side as the exit point. I will post pictures on the Carve Forum and here. With only the bottom suction and a 2 HP dust collector I still get a big mess inside compared to the one with the top collector.

Good Luck,

AL

Here are some pictures of the collector and some clocks. The bears get painted black.

Not used here, but I now also run an external ground cable with 3 clips on each end between the dust collector and the carve machine since the Carve Machine is a 2 wire system. I ground the metal cabinet, dryer hose, and Carve Machine. I am a little anal about it....
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 09-15-2007 at 11:15 PM.

4. Al Ursich please.....

I own and operate Omega Guitars building custom acoustic guitars in my shop here in Saylorsburg, PA. I've been considering one of the Sears units for doing light inlay and cavity routing, but have never seen one in action.

I was wondering if you were close enough for me to schedule a visit just to get glimpse of the machine in operation. I'm in the south Pocono region about 15 minutes south of Stroudsburg, PA.

Let me know and I'll get in touch with you.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars

Kevin,
    Also take a look at the ShopBot CNC machine built in Durham, NC. They have a new smaller machine and it is built tough.

shopbottools dot com will get you there.

ed
    Trotec Speedy 300 45W
    Universal VLS4.60 50W
    Universal M-300 50w
    ShopBot PRSAlpha48
    Techno LC4848
    Oneway 2436

Visitors....?

I am not ready for prime time yet.... So sorry no visitors yet. The Shop is a mess from 5 months of 7 days a week. Was up today at 5 AM and off to a Craft Show 65 miles away for a total sale of $2.00...... Others have been much better. Have shows just about every weekend until Christmas and I need to finish the Wood Shop and wire and insulate it. I have a LP Direct Vent heater but it's still too dusty to use it. I have dust collection but it needs improvement.

In know LHR was in NJ at a Wood Show and I bet they will be back to many more on the East Coast including the Philly shows.

Check the schedule at www.carvewright.com

And the Shop Bot Buddy I think it is called is worth looking at very seriously. The 14.5 inch width limitation could give you a problem. There is a Guitar guy doing the work.

As far as inlays, a Laser Engraver is much better for that in my opinion. Remember the sand paper belts do the moving in and out and the little Brass Roller in contact with YOUR wood or a Sled or Carrier Board. Any slippage will cause very expensive errors. You have better control of this with a Shop Bot where there are no "Slippage factors".

Good Luck,

AL

Here are some EXTREME Examples of when the sand paper belts get worn smooth and tracking is not working properly. In ALL FAIRNESS this has NOT HAPPENED AGAIN since I fixed the problem. The Problem was the warn sand paper belts. But a example of what can go wrong.

Picture 1 the points of the outer track don't meet

Picture 2 The tracks should be centered in the ties.

Picture 3 Things really got out of hand..... The board even moved RIGHT and away from the Left Guide and the location of the Brass Roller. See how close together the tracks are along the side. And the moving away from the brass roller causes the board to move with the sand paper belts but the Encoder or Brass Roller is not moving. The Computer keeps moving the board until the Encoder is happy. I have had boards keep moving right out of the machine....

The Brass roller contacts the bottom of the board or sled and this is the encoder input to the computer.

A GREAT DESIGN when it all works....

My 2 Cents,

Happy owner of 2 CarveWright Machines from Sears.

AL

Would I buy them again or buy a Shop Bot?

CarveWright without a doubt.
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 10-27-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Here a few items I have made with my Compucarve, I have about 150 hours on mine, I do mostly signs and picture frames but I also made some end tables for a customer and had the machine put the detail into the sides in the fourth picture. And the third picture is an autographed picture of Richard Petty that a customer wanted a frame for.

I have also had the machine drill shelf holes for cabinets while I do ther things in the shop
    Kurt

I have the Compucarve -- one of the first an A model. Since been upgraded with the Rock chuck, rubber belts, etc. Extended the original maintenance agreement for one more year and notice that I am entitled to one PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE CHECK-UP.

Anyone have exppereince with the checkup? Is it worth the time and trouble having the machine shipped off to wherever Sears does the checkup?
    Last edited by Jerry Bittner; 09-07-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelliong

Jerry,

This is a 2007 post. For this info your asking for, you would be better asking on the CarveWright forum. Not too many CW users here.

The Risks of sending your machine off is Shipping Damage.... Many machines get dropped in the shipping box and then are trash due to a cracked frame.

Even if you drop off the machine at a local Sears it may get shipped back to TEXAS to LHR. Much has changed with Sears and LHR.

AL

digitalwoodshop on the CW forum if you need help.
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 09-07-2013 at 8:40 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".