Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forrest Woodworker II -- This is wrong, right?

Forrest Woodworker II -- This is wrong, right?

I received this blade yesterday from Amazon (it was the $64 sale). It was packed inside a bigger box. Everything about the packing was in good condition, including Forrest's box and the rubber coating on the blade.

When I started to peel the rubber coating off, nearly every tip was missing the outside point and had a fracture along the outside back edge of the tooth.

I stopped peeling the coating and tried calling Forrest, but they were closed. I'm pretty sure this is wrong. I would expect sharp points on the outside edge, but I'm curious about the line along the back of the tooth that I say looks like a fracture.

Whattya think?

No doubt I'll get good service from Amazon and/or Forrest. I'm also wondering if anyone else had issues w/ their $64 sale blades.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

maybe thats why it was 64 bucks? hah

I don't see a lot of difference in those pics from my WWII, except the welds look a little more 'dirty' and I paid $105 for mine , but the tooth shape looks correct.... ? Don't take my word however, I'm but a newbie.....

JC
    Last edited by Jared Cuneo; 09-02-2007 at 2:14 PM.

Not sure but it kinda looks like a relief cut on the blade to me. If it were a fracture it would not be uniform in shape on each tooth.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

The two sides of the cutting edges sorta look rounded-over to me.

I have two 40-tooth WWII's, a regular-kerf WWII and a thin-kerf and also a 30-tooth WWII. They all have crisp, straight edges and points on the teeth. Your blade looks like somebody did a bad job of sharpening it. A brand new blade should not look like that. On Tuesday Forrest should be back to work. Call and tell them what you got. I'm sure they will make good on it for you. Amazon should take it back, but I'm not sure how long that would take. I think Forrest would like to know about a situation like this. You need a new blade, also, not just a decent sharpening, because each sharpening takes some life off the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    The two sides of the cutting edges sorta look rounded-over to me.
    Same here. I went out and looked at the one on my saw that I have been using and the new one and both sides of each tooth come to a point and are really sharp on both blades. It looks to me like that you got a bad one.

The welds look really rough also compared to mine. Mine are clean as a whistle.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 09-02-2007 at 2:32 PM.

I went out and checked my $64 blades. They look fine. It looks to me that the blade has not been finish ground.

I'm sure Forrest will make it right for you. Give 'em a call Tuesday, and/or send them an email with those pics.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Maybe Forrest is now outsourcing their manufacturing to a Chinese mental institution. That's the worst looking saw blade I've ever seen. Even the HF blades look better. That's got to be a mistake. Make sure whoever takes it back doesn't make you pay for any more shipping charges.

Bruce

I find it hard to believe that those pictures are of a new "top quality" saw blade. I've sent blades out to local shapening shops to have broken teeth replaced and they often came back looking like the blades in your pictures. I think someone either made a mistake or is trying to put one over on you. Let's hope it's the former.....
    David DeCristoforo

I"m on the side of the fence that says that they skipped the finish grind.

Gary K.

I also ordered the thin kerf Forrest from Amazon ($64). After reading this thread since I didn't open the package yet I figured I better!

I am no expert but when purchasing other new blades they sure don't look like this new Forrest. IMHO it looks used but re-sharpened? There are rust spots on it too! I may have to call Amazon on Tuesday.

Tim, thanks for opening this thread.

ForrestBlade1
    ForrestBlade2
    Last edited by dan mahler; 09-02-2007 at 8:11 PM. Reason: grammar

That packaging looks incorrect. All of the WWII's that I have seen came in a glued shut green and white 'envelope', not a box like that.....And after looking at my blade in the shop, the others are correct, very sharp edges.....

JC

For the record, my box and blade looks just like Dan's.

I certainly expected more after reading so much about Forrests! Let's hope there's an explanation as well as a shiny new blade.