Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Finally Finished My Mantle Project

Talking I Finally Finished My Mantle Project

Well, when my wife and I moved in to our home over twenty years ago I wanted to add a mantle the the fireplace. Unfortunately at the time I had just given up doing much woodworking due to several reasons and didn't really have the time and tools to make the mantle.

As many of you know from all my tool posts, I'm excited about getting back into woodworking so I decided that the mantle would be the appropriate place to start.

Last year we had a portrait painted of our first puppies (litter of two), as puppies and after they became AKC Champions. We wanted a place to show it off, but as you can see in the before picture below, the spot we chose just didn't work because of the dark background. More recently we purchased a bronze sculpture of a cowboy with a basset hound by Walter Ross, a fantastic western sculptor, and needed a place to display it, other than the dining room table. We decided that a mantle and space above would the perfect place to display both.

BEFORE:
    Mantle Before W.JPG
    As you can see the only "mantle" we had was just a row of bricks. The wood above is a piece of painted rough plywood (it used to match the front door which we changed to an oak door several years ago). It didn't show off the picture very well.

I didn't take any pictures of what was underneath the plywood, but there was nothing to attach a mantle to. I had th cut away some of the plywood and put in some framing so that I could attach metal brackets to hold the weight of the mantle.

AFTER:
    Mantle After 1W.JPG
    I hope that you can see a difference. It's hard to get a good picture with all the light in the room. The light wood above the mantle is unstained white pine plywood. The rest, including the mantle and trim is stained red oak. I finished all the wood with simigloss poly.

Here's a closer look at the actual mantle--
    Mantle After 2W.JPG

---and the space above.
    Mantle After 3W.JPG

I must add that I had a blast with this project. Finally I feel that I've accomplished a project that I've been wanting to do. The most unfortunate part is that we plan to move within the next two years. But, we thought since this is the first room people see as they enter our home that this would be a good selling point for buyers.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

that looks great! it changes the whole room.
    nice job

Afternoon Don..

Looks as though the 20 years of "careful.. pre-mediated" thought about how to handle that mantel paid off with big dividends. Well done!

Good to see ya got back to wood after the "lay-off". I thought of taking a lay-off after 35 years but... after looking at the "requistion basket" from the young lovely, seems she has "plans" contrary after the "boom-bang-crash-opps-sorry mom" teens departed. That's reality as it exist at the Sarge house-hold, I suppose. She's very considerate and did tell me I could take today off though after 11 days of vacation (if ya want to call it that) that left many requisitions still pending with her pad and "hot ink pen" still burning in her hand... ha.. ha...

Regards...

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 09-03-2007 at 1:29 PM.

What a change. It looks great. Congrats on your efforts.

Thumbs up

don, nice job on the mantle.where did you get that fireplace screen?i like it a lot.

Thumbs up

Beautiful work Don! Great looking project.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    Ahhhh, much better. Great job.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by fred woltersdorf View Post
    don, nice job on the mantle.where did you get that fireplace screen?i like it a lot.
    Fred,
    The fireplace screen is a Thomas Kinkade design that we found several years ago. It's reverse painting on glass.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

I guess you were, umm...hounded...into getting that project finishes...

(Nice work!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Actualy Jim the LOML has been great about not hounding me on my woodworking projects. Her support, as I've been out buying tools for the shop, has been fantastic as well. I couldn't ask for more understanding from her. My current project, however, is one that she'd like finished fairly soon. In fact, if it cools down enough to work in the shop I need to do some work on it tonight.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Don you've been busy!!

Great work. Looks like you're making good use of those new tools.

Tom

Don -

Those modifications look great! Much more appealing IMHO. You gave it some "separation" with the mantle and fluted sides and the stain is just perfect. A hint of Art/Crafts style to me...and I like it!

Nice Puppies!!

I'm glad you're enjoying your shop -- I do too and its a lot of fun getting into woodworking again.......

Amazing what changing the color can do!

I guess I'm ahead of the game, its only been 3 1/2 years since I tore the trim off of our fireplace without replacing it. I'll just tell my wife I'll get it done over the next 16 years...

Good thing its warm out tonight, I won't get too cold sleeping outside!

Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Cool

Thank you for all the supportive comments. You people here at Sawmill Creek have been a great help and inspiration to me as I've gotten back into woodworking. Yes, I'm on some other forums, but I have found you people to have the best advice and support. The LOML really has a lot of respect for your recommendations as well. Whenever I decide to buy something she asks what do the people on the forums say.

She's been great as I've gotten my shop up and running. Last week she decided that her car wasn't going back in the garage and she told me to arrange the garage so that I could use the tools better. Getting two cars in the garage was one of the reasons I quit soon after we moved into the house. Now I've got to get going on my next projects. I already have started on the next one and have the wood lined up for at least two more.

Dan -- I only had my molding off and holes in the wall for about a month. Thanks for the complement on the puppies. As is evident from what little of our home that is shown in the pictures, our dogs are important. Some of our friends cal our house the Basset Hound Museum. Since we don't have kids, our basset hounds (all 7) are our children.

Roy -- If we were planning to stay in this house for much longer it would have even more of an Arts & Crafts look. I tried just to be as genaric as possible, somewhat matching our oak front door and a new entry way oak railing that I just installed. Hopefully when we put the house on the market in a couple of years the mantle will be something that will help sell the house.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 09-04-2007 at 9:50 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Nice job, Don. It looks great. I suspect that is one project where you can get your investment back when you sell .

Eddie