Thread: Walnut & Maple box (prototype #2) PIC cross posted

Walnut & Maple box (prototype #2) PIC cross posted

Variation from the one posted last week … still might have some more changes to make.

Brian
    sept1.jpg

sept2.jpg

sept3.jpg

That is a nice looking box. The proportions though doesn't seems right (to me) Is like something isn't quite there. I'd try the top with something to cut the flatness and maybe shoten the legs a bit and stylising them a bit more.
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I like the box.
    Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Elias View Post
    That is a nice looking box. The proportions though doesn't seems right (to me) Is like something isn't quite there. I'd try the top with something to cut the flatness and maybe shoten the legs a bit and stylising them a bit more.
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I like the box.
    Congrats
    Defiantly not taken the wrong way … the more critiques the better.

Thanks

Brian

On the right track

You're on the right track. I agree with Alex; it seems a bit top heavy, It could be that the legs are too long or that the darker color of the legs overpowers and makes them appear too long and out of balance. Make sure you post pics of the finished product here. I also like Coors.

That's really interesting, Brian!

Given you're open to comments (not specified in the original post), on the proportion thing: I think that this rectangular shape would benefit from shorter legs, but I love the current leg style...don't change it. The more square you go, the taller you can be...which means you could do variations on that theme.

The top might benefit from another layer or a button of some kind just to add more interest. Both would be easy to experiment with without re-doing the prototype.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the constructive criticism Jim, I do appreciate it. Some things I don’t understand in your reply. You say the top could benefit from another layer … you mean just make the top thicker? To me that would make the box look even deeper than it already is, but then I’m new to this design thing and just learning.

I don’t understand the button terminology at all … would you mind explaining.

Thanks again

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Knodel View Post
    Thanks for the constructive criticism Jim, I do appreciate it. Some things I don’t understand in your reply. You say the top could benefit from another layer … you mean just make the top thicker? To me that would make the box look even deeper than it already is, but then I’m new to this design thing and just learning.

I don’t understand the button terminology at all … would you mind explaining.

Thanks again

Brian
    I think he meant something like a smaller rectangle attached to the top either flat or taper to the center with some profile on the edges. I would add that may be some sort of handle would spark some interest, may be on the contrsting wood.
    To add to my earlier comment, I do like the concept and excecution of the box. The legs look great comming from the corners, I would like a bit more (organic could I say) shape on them perhaps soften the edgesand blend them some more to the legs.

if the legs were allot thinner is would be closer to a shaker style box I have seen. I thought it looked a bit top heavy also but it was considered a work of art. I like it I think the thick shoulders on the legs is what is giving everyone the impression of too much leg not the height of them.

i agree with the thin leg comment - it is on the verge of being elegant as-is, i think you need to push it a bit and thin out the legs to see what that does to the appearance. If you are going for "elegant"