Thread: Details From The Sketch Pad #1 Blind Shelf Support

Details From The Sketch Pad #1 Blind Shelf Support

When supporting shelves between gyp board covered walls. If the shelves are thick you can hide the leger by dadoing the sides (back optional) and attach a blind leger . The shelf slides on and the dado stops before the front fascia piece. Simple and neat!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    When supporting shelves between gyp board covered walls. If the shelves are thick you can hide the leger by dadoing the sides (back optional) and attach a blind leger . The shelf slides on and the dado stops before the front fascia piece. Simple and neat!
    Mark,

I did this on a shelf in an alcove. (damn, I gotta take some pics of this!!!!...sound like a broken record here). I laminated 3 sheets of 3/4" ply and edge-banded the curved side (only 1 side visible out of 3) in maple. It holds a very heavy TV. As additional support, I cut pocket holes in the bottom of the shelf to line up with the studs in the wall and used 3" screws. Eventually, a cabinet will go under the shelf so I am not worried about seeing the pocket holes.

It turned out nice as it appears to float in the alcove.

Edit: Mark, should these posts of yours go in the Design Forum?
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-29-2004 at 5:25 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Neat trick. Took me a minute to understand what you meant. Will certainly keep it in m ind.

Thanks!

- Ed