Thread: Mesquite HF... it's been a while

Mesquite HF... it's been a while

I hollowed most of this with a sorby hollowmaster, but couldn't get up in the shoulder and it was pretty rough inside. Travis Stinson let me finish on his system...boy that was great... Thanks Travis. It got me to come home and build a captive system for myself.

This is from the crotch of a mesquite and is 11 3/4" x 7". Finished with Antique Oil and buffed. As before critiques welcome.

Ernie...........extremely gnarly and beautiful! I'll bet you sweated while turning it! Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That's fantastic. I wouldn't change a thing! More than most other pieces I see, I'd love to have this one in my home.

See Ernie...it's like riding a bike. But, did you have to fall off and crash through the side of this one? All kidding aside, very nice work.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Fantastic job Ernie! Really looks great!

Absolutely beautiful work Ernie! Love the wood, form and finish! You got my attention about making your own captured system. Any chance we could see what you made and how it works? I am going to have to make something fairly soon myself and any help would be appreciated!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Absolutely beautiful work Ernie! Love the wood, form and finish! You got my attention about making your own captured system. Any chance we could see what you made and how it works? I am going to have to make something fairly soon myself and any help would be appreciated!
    Steve, I posted a pick a while back here

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59619

Look for the pic Travis fixed for me. The one I used is top right. I bought a Jamieson bar to go in the "D" handle. The D handle is 3/4" bar stock with a 3/4" all thread coupling welded to the long piece. I drilled the threads out for the bars to fit. It's all similar to a Jamieson rig. I made my back rest a little wider and instead of round tubing for the upright, I used square tubing. I can get you exact dimensions if you like.

Thanks everyone for you comments.

Ernie that is a beauty. I bet the pucker factor was rather high. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Brave, if not just CRAZY, but clearly worth the risk!
    What an elegant piece! Well Done.
    Change One Thing

Ernie - thanks for getting back to me with info on your captured system. After reading your post I realized that I goofed - big time! I have a brand new Monster Captured Hollowing system but no way of reverse turning a HF. When I saw your HF I immediately thought there must be some way to 'capture' or hold the HF so you can finish off the bottom. So, in the hopes that I am asking the right question this time - how did you manage to secure the HF to finish off the bottom? Thanks!
    Steve

Erine,
    STUNNING!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    So, in the hopes that I am asking the right question this time - how did you manage to secure the HF to finish off the bottom? Thanks!
    Gotcha Steve. I use various jam chucks. First of all though, when I am making my tenon, I bring the tail stock up with the live center to pinpoint the center of the bottom... even if I'm using a face plate. After I hollowed this piece, I made a cone shaped jam chuck that fit in the opening of the HF. Then I just brought the tail stock up to the center of the tenon, and put just enough pressure on it for it to turn. Got to be careful here though, because you could split the HF with the cone shape. I turn the tenon down to about 1/4", remove it, and saw it off.

Thank you Ernie - that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Have been thinking of making a donut chuck to hold HFs and/or large bowls - but the cone shaped jam chuck makes a lot of sense and is worth trying! Thanks again!
    Steve