Thread: Vacum Pump Question

Vacum Pump Question

I am interested in putting together a Vacum veneering setup at some point and have a question about a particular pump. Does anyone have any experience with a Gast mdel DOA-V192-AA pump? Guy is selling one on the local CL for a decent price and wondered if 1) it had the capacity required to pull a suffecient vacum on a decent sized bag (say 4' x 4') and 2) if anyone is currently using one and what the results have been.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Based on the specs shown in the ad, it will work fine. Do you know what the CFM rating is on this pump? The higher the CFM rating, the quicker it will pull a vacuum.
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 09-05-2007 at 1:26 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Thanks Bill. Based on the "look" of it, I think that it is this pump but he doesn't provide the model number on the site.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...c3156d0f04c176

(I hope this is not a TOS violation). If it is indeed the pump, it is 1.1 CFM.

I don't know about that particular model but I'm sure it would be adequate to pull the proper vacuum for clamping. My concern would be the unknown. If you have any questions at all about the dependability of the unit, I would stay clear. There would be nothing worse than spending all the time laying out your expensive veneer, spreading all the glue, positioning your setup, placing it in the vacuum bag, and then have the equipment malfunction. For me, I went with a brand new, name brand pump. Just my 2¢ I hope it helps.

"...If it is indeed the pump, it is 1.1 CFM..."

1 CFM is pretty low volume but as long as your bag is not too big, it should work. The question will not be if the pump can draw the vacuum but how long it will take.
    David DeCristoforo

Has anyone used the Wood Craft vacuum pump? I am thinking about getting one but wanted to hear others thoughts...not to hijack this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Thanks Bill. Based on the "look" of it, I think that it is this pump but he doesn't provide the model number on the site.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...c3156d0f04c176

(I hope this is not a TOS violation). If it is indeed the pump, it is 1.1 CFM.
    If the person selling the pump is within reasonable driving distance, you have the option of inspecting it prior to purchase. As Dave pointed out, 1.1CFM will take a while to pull the bag down but it will work.

The Gast pump is rated for continuous duty as is the Robinaire I have been using for several years. However, it will be better to assemble a system with a vacuum controller and check valve to cycle the pump within a workable range.

You do not have to pull 29" of vacuum for successful pressing. I've seen good veneering accomplished with no more than 8". I have my system set to cycle off at about 21" and back on at about 16", which has proven more than adequate for bentwood pieces I've done.

Last edited by Bill Arnold; 09-05-2007 at 3:28 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Simon View Post
    I don't know about that particular model but I'm sure it would be adequate to pull the proper vacuum for clamping. My concern would be the unknown. If you have any questions at all about the dependability of the unit, I would stay clear. There would be nothing worse than spending all the time laying out your expensive veneer, spreading all the glue, positioning your setup, placing it in the vacuum bag, and then have the equipment malfunction. For me, I went with a brand new, name brand pump. Just my 2¢ I hope it helps.
    Of course, the last thing to do prior to applying glue to a project and placing it in the bag is to check the pump for proper operation.

NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Of course, the last thing to do prior to applying glue to a project and placing it in the bag is to check the pump for proper operation.

True, unless it fails during the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Simon View Post
    True, unless it fails during the cycle.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa

HVAC service firms trash vacumm pumps regularly. When they don't pull in the micron range, they are discarded as a new one is cheaper than a rebuild. Plus time isn't lost while unit is being rebuilt. Check with a couple of HVAC repair places, and I am willing to bet that you can pick up an old pump for less than $25.00. Most of these pull between 4 and 6 CFM and are rated for continous duty. When the local junk yard would let us scavengers in, the most I ever paid was $20.00. Of course this was a pump and a freon recycling machine.