Thread: Sandpaper preference...

Sandpaper preference...

Do any of you have a sandpaper you would not attempt to finish a project without?

I was introduced to the Norton 3X brand of sandpaper after using the 4 pack of rolled sandpaper woodcraft sells since I started turning last October. I thought my technique was the problem as I never could get all the scrape marks out of my pens. Wow, what a difference good sandpaper makes.

Is there another brand you recommend that would do even a better job than the Norton brand?
    "Intoxicated with unbroken successes, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." --Abraham Lincoln

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.—Winston Churchill

Not sure if it is better but I use Klingspor AO stearate sandpaper and love it.

I also use micromesh after sanding.
    Dario

Tim,

My advice is try to use what is available to you locally. Its nuts to pay shipping charges on sandpaper.

I use 3M Sandblaster Gold in grits up to 400. The 3M product is available at fairly close big box stores. When they have their 15% off everything you can fit in the brown paper bag I load up. For 600 & 800 I buy Finkat from Crafts Supply (breaking my rule, but its worth it). For open spiral work I have used the Pen Makers roils but have found that the Klingspor catalog is a better deal. This is a 'shop roll' 1" wide with a softcloth backing ('J' weight) in grits up to 600.

On stabilized pens blanks I will use Micro Mesh but seldom go past 600 on anything other than pens. If Micro Mesh gets used on a bowl its probably because I am experimenting with laquer again.

One of my fellow club members says: 'Use sandpaper like some one else is paying for it'

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Kobilsek View Post
    One of my fellow club members says: 'Use sandpaper like some one else is paying for it'

Frank
    An excellent way to put it Frank!!!! Sanding with "dull" sandpaper only makes one apply more pressure to try and squeeze more life from the sandpaper. Remember that sanding on the lathe really only requires lite pressure when sanding by hand or by power sanding.

A sandpaper that I use (thank you Mark Cothren) that works very good is a white A/O sandpaper by Industrial Abrasives. It comes in large sheets of something like 36" wide and can be easily cut or punched out with a sharpened piece of 2" or 3" metal conduit to make sanding disks.

I also use the 3M Gold as well as automotive high grit sandpaper.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    I'm sold on 3X as it is readily available in my area but I have heard good things about the Kingspor products as well. You are right about the difference. The first time I used 3X I was hooked, I'm sure other quality papers are the same. The amount of 'extra' work I get out of a quality paper way more than offsets the minor increase in cost.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have also used and been pleased with Klingspor AO Sterate,
    Norton 3X, 3M Sandblaster, and 3M Wet/Dry (but not on light woods). My preference, however, is Finkat. I turn mostly pens and find its flexibility and wear resistance to be slightly better than the others.

I love the blue disks from www.abrasivesASAP.com for my power sanding. They were recommended by a fellow turner, and the prices are great. ~$10 for 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    I love the blue disks from www.abrasivesASAP.com for my power sanding. They were recommended by a fellow turner, and the prices are great. ~$10 for 50.
    I have purchased from Vince at: http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/pu...0abrasives.htm

I believe he is carrying some of the same (power) sanding discs as Patrick refers to, and at the same price. I have not ordered from abrasivesASAP, but I've been very happy with the service and products from Vince. As a new turner, I highly recommend the 80 grit......

I used to use only local stuff. Posted here once about sand paper and a few suggested klingspor. I will never go back to hardware store stuff again. Klingspor + Micromech, the only way to go.

I have been using the blue discs from Vince and ASAP. They work together, and the product is the same. They are on a film, and have the most consistant grit of any sanding product I have ever used. They also outlast any disc I have ever used about 2 to 1.

While up in Portland at the Symposium, I saw Mike Mahoney using the new ceramic abrasives from 3M. He prefers it, and he says that it lasts longer than anything he has used. I called 3M and got the local rep's number and called him up. He is young and left with a lot of questions to ask him company because they usually deal with big businesses. When he gets back to me with some samples, I will give a report. I know that the Sanding Glove people carry the ceramic discs, and that they have psa (sticky) discs, but don't know if they carry or have hook and loop discs available.

I prefer to cut my own discs, as I like them a bit oversized. The discs from Vince come 3 3/8, and 2 3/8 inch standard. You can special order rolls from Klingspoor in most of their stocks.

The Norton 3X paper does last longer than other papers I have used, but I am partial to the sanding films. Unfortunatly the film products don't seem to be available in sheet stock.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post

A sandpaper that I use (thank you Mark Cothren) that works very good is a white A/O sandpaper by Industrial Abrasives. It comes in large sheets of something like 36" wide and can be easily cut or punched out with a sharpened piece of 2" or 3" metal conduit to make sanding disks.

I also use the 3M Gold as well as automotive high grit sandpaper.
    I'm 100% with Dennis, I buy my sandpaper also from Industrial Abrasives
    in huge sheets & mostly cut it in square pieces I believe it's called Rhino Grip H&L & one complete order should last a few years cutting it yourself.

I'm another Klingspor fan, it's good stuff for the money. I almost soley use strips and disks so I just by the 25' rolls 50pk disks.
    At the symposium in AZ this year I picked up some stuff from The sanding glove and their disks are very nice too. They also had the ceramics but I'm too cheap for those.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Klingspor for anything from 400 and over grit and what ever I can get that is the cheapest below 400 grit.

Marvin