Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaker style CD case.

Hey Jason,

I still stand behind what I said.... that piece is really nice!

I didn't doubt your work... the background just drew my eyes to it. I've messed around with photoshop from time to time also, but that's more my wife's forte.

If my work looks half as good as your cherry case, I'll be happy.

Thanks for sharing.
    /Kevin

Jason, beautiful piece!

In that space, I'm picturing a 4½' wide cherry Shaker piece, about 85" tall. 16" deep at the bottom and 10" deep on top, with a 42" high countertop. Six-light glass doors on top (4), and a single wide drawer just under the counter. Although, you'd have to lose the Ficus.

Todd
    When you get this new one finished, let me know and I'll dispose of your CD cabinet!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Jason, beautiful piece!

In that space, I'm picturing a 4½' wide cherry Shaker piece, about 85" tall. 16" deep at the bottom and 10" deep on top, with a 42" high countertop. Six-light glass doors on top (4), and a single wide drawer just under the counter. Although, you'd have to lose the Ficus.

Todd
    When you get this new one finished, let me know and I'll dispose of your CD cabinet!
    LOL... I said Shaker style. I'll have to get permission to build a Shaker reproduction, not to mention a building permit. I do love the idea though.

Hey Jason,

Two thumbs up. It is really a very nice piece of work - you should send a photo into FWW. How many hours did you put into the project and what finish did you apply to the cherry (it has beautiful uniform color).

cheers,
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    LOL... I said Shaker style. I'll have to get permission to build a Shaker reproduction, not to mention a building permit. I do love the idea though.

beautiful jason. very elegant, and the color is perfect!
    chris

jason - ignore todd ... he's got a bubinga buzz.

what are the dimensions of that thing, and how many CDs can it hold?

nice,

b

Great work Jason. Cool design too.

The problem with CD's is that you want them at or near eye level. I need CD storage, too, and I was thinking about hanging a cabinet on the wall, but your idea of a table underneath is an elegant an functional solution. Dave.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Talking

Tyler, You've touched on that great mystery once again. Who can explain furniture in bathrooms - except for the obvious pieces of course? Fortunately, I don't think our church ladies will have much use for a cd case in the bathroom, at least I hope not.
    Those Church Ladies!
    Jason you have to keep an eye on them at all times. Knowing them like I do they will come up with a good use for it if you give them a chance. So put a chain on it or nail it to the floor.
    I like your decor as well.
    Beautiful work.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Hey Jason

sorry I'm jumping in late here - but that is one beautiful cabinet. very well thought out, great wood & finish & nice joinery.

Man - some day I hope I can make something that nice.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Jason, that is gorgeous! A very well executed design.

Eric

11. Hi Jason,

Nice work, you go to the head of the class.

Simply Beautiful.

Boyd

Here's a piece I built a little bit ago after seeing something very similar online (http://www.timothyclark.com/c_cdcab.html). We have a lot of cd's floating around and this keeps most of them in their place. Seeing as how the Shakers were lover's of music, I'm sure they would have had something like this for their cd's as well

The sides of the case were joined with dovetails using the d4. The joints of the table are peged with Walnut. The doors are as well, but these don't go all the way through. They are meant as more of an accent than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Barga
    Hey Jason,

Two thumbs up. It is really a very nice piece of work - you should send a photo into FWW. How many hours did you put into the project and what finish did you apply to the cherry (it has beautiful uniform color).

cheers,
    Roger
    Jason,

Roger is correct, this one needs to be submitting to FWW for the monthly gallery.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Wow !!

Jason,

The Argonauts Would Be Proud Of That Great Job !!

Wow !!
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Jason,
    Roger is correct, this one needs to be submitting to FWW for the monthly gallery.
    You guys are all very nice, but as I confessed in my initial post, the design is not original to me. I'm flattered that you like the piece, but don't you think FWW should be reserved for guys who execute their own designs and/or interpretations of standard pieces? Beside the Walnut accents, this is a pretty faithful copy of a custom piece. I'd hate to get mail that starts off with, "Hey Hack, that's my design!" Am I off base here?

BTW, to answer some of the other questions, the dimensions I worked off of are found at the link that I provided. If you want more details than this, send me a private message and I can get them to you. This took me roughly a week to make. Finish is Watco Danish oil w/cherry tint followed by lacquer. Hardware is from Rockler. It holds roughly 150 cds. On dry days like today - 152

Beautiful job Jason. You should be very proud of it
    Pete Lamberty