Thread: Drill Press & Setup gloat

Drill Press & Setup gloat

They say it never happened if there aren't pictures. So here goes...

I have a really small shop, we're talking 13x17 before subtracting for the washer, dryer and water heater. Its one of those garages that was built in 1927 for a Ford Model A. I suppose its not too bad, I could be trying to carry my PM down the stairs into a basement or something. For those of you are in that situation, I seriously feel for you and wish you the best.

I had bought a Jet Full size drill press at auction a couple years ago. It had some run out, so I really couldn't use it for drilling pen banks. Well, I sold it for what I bought it for and together with that, and more money, and the 10% discount from WoodCraft for their anniversary, I got the RIKON benchtop, radial drill press and their grinder with White wheels.

Now the gloat part, I threw together a little box with some leveler on the bottom that holds my drill press AND my grinder on the same top. A great bonus part is that the wolverine fits under the grinder and still slides all the way in to keep the jig out of the way of the drill press and my body which used to smack into it. Best of all the same space that held a drill press, now holds a router, drill, grinder, circular saw, pnematic nailer, kreg jig, the drill press, and some odds and sods. Admittedly, the box holding things up is ugly, and I still need doors and face frames, but it also getting the job done.

Review wise on the press, I'm very happy with it. I'm finally doing some pens now that I am comfortable drilling the blanks. Its been a very accurate and enjoyable drill press.

Review wise on the grinder, this is the first slow speed grinder I've had. I had a ryobi 3650 RPM before, and I'm not burning nearly as much steel as before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Brodey, I've been trying to figure out how to put my DP and grinder on the same stand for awhile. Don't know why I didn't think of turning the DP to the side like you did? Thanks and if its OK, I'm stealing your idea.

Brodie great looking setup. I did something similar with my belt/disc sander and my CMS only it is a flip top bench plus storage underneath. I know about small shops because mine is 12 X 24.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats Brodie!!! Nice setup.