Thread: Variable speed vs 6 speed

Variable speed vs 6 speed

I am in the market to buy a mini lathe primarily for pen turning. I think I have pretty well settled on the Jet Mini Lathe but what are your thoughts on 6 speed vs variable speed. I am a novice at turning. I heard some folks say they would definitely buy the variable and the $100 was worth it, I heard others say that especially for novices they thought the 6 speed was better since you knew exactly what your speed was and that changing speed was not so bad. If I get the 6 speed then I have $100 more to spend on good turning tools.

Thanks for your input

Skip...I have the Carba-Tech mini lathe that is variable speed, have had it since 1996 or 1997 and I really like the variable speed feature. If I was to get another mini lathe, it would be variable speed. Most of my turnings are pens. I also have a full size lathe which is not variable speed, still works, but is not as convenient. Just my opinion. Rod in Appleton, WA
    Rod

Variable speed is the only way to go! I purchased the Grizzly mini lathe for $139 and that has variable speed. No problems so far.

Skip,
    I have been accused of beating the subject to death.

The biggest advantage of VS on most lathes, is the ablility to turn at a lower end of the speed range. Sanding at 100 RPM vs the Minimum on most lathes of 500rpm, etc.

I am a die hard Jet Mini user, but I am critical of the fact that the new Jet JWL-1024 VS has the same speed range as the non-VS model 500-3900 RPM. With that fact, the VS option just becomes a convienience. The ability to set the lathe at a speed, say between the 500 and 750 steps in not that big an issue.

That said, I have converted my Jet Mini to a 1hp VS and reversing motor and have been thrilled with it. It is a much nicer lathe to work with (not that I minded it before). But the thrill comes from things like being able to sand slowly in forward, and then in reverse to tackle some difficult wood. Or learning the Bloodwood and Cocobolo, which I use extensively in Segmented Bowls, responds much better to turning at lower speeds - like about 200 rpm - the surface finish is much better. It comes off in nice long ribbons instead of little chips.

Do a search on my name around the first of November 2003, and you will see my article.

Just my opinion.

All in all you will not go wrong with either of the Jet Minis - I just think the the extra $100 for the VS is a waste of money.

Mark

Jet Mini-lathe

Skip,
    I'm in the VS camp. The extra $$ for the Jet mini VS, in my humble opinion, will be well spent. Both my BIG lathe (PM 3520) and my mini (Jet VS) have VS. I got hooked with the big lathe and waited on Jet to come out with the VS mini before I bought. Changing belts in the middle of a project is a pain - even if you can avoid the "belt dust" which can stain the turning. In addition, at MY age, the time that it takes to change belts causes me to totally lose the point I was at when the lathe was shut down - assuming I remembered to turn the lathe off before the belt change.

Seriously though, Mark, SOME of the time product upgrades are made for a good reason. In the case of the Jet mini, I think that this is one of those times. Just a thought.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!