Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite tool?

Favorite tool?

Just got a bonus at work. Not enough to make up for everything I did, but still a nice surprise! I've decided I'm going to purchase a couple of quality turning tools with part of it.

The 'nice' tools I've got include a mega-flute bowl gouge that I really like, a good roughing gouge, a Sorby hollowing tool and a Sorby multi-tip scraper. Everything else is from a couple of mini/midi sets.

I've turned everything from pens and chain pulls to bowls and hollow forms with these. I've started using the small skews a lot, so I figure I'm going with a good size skew and a quality spindle gouge. I'm still on a mini-lathe and I'm not ready for a big boy yet, so a single bowl gouge is enough. Not really interested in a hollowing system since I don't turn HF often and I'm not commercial, so I'll continue to do these the old fashioned way.

Now that I've rambled enough to put everyone to sleep...

All of this got me to wondering; what is everyone's single, number one favorite, can't live without it, turning tool?
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Myself, I love an Elsworth grind. I probably use that tool more than anything else put together.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

My primary turning tool is a 3/8" P&N bowl gouge with the fingernail grind on it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Mike,

For spindle work, I like the Thompson detail gouge. Because the flute is shallow, very little steel was milled away; the tool has more rigidity than any spindle gouge.
    http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/tooltype.asp?TYPE=D
    I personally use both this and the shallow detail gouge. The shallow detail has even shallower flute, it can be extended over the tool rest further without chattering, very useful for off-center turning.
    They are made from A-11 steel with cryogenic heat treating. The only other tool that is comparable is the Glaser:
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...=glaser&Page=2
    The difference is Glaser comes in nice handle. If money is no object, I would go with Glaser. Unfortunately, ...

Gordon

I like a Crown 3/8" bowl gouge with a rather fingernail grind - I use that more than anything else. Nice handled, too. It'll be interesting to see what suggestios you have. Jude

My go to gouge is a HT 3/8 ( 1/2 dia) double ground super flute with short fingernail at /43 deg angle 99% of the time.This is the one i want to replace with the Serious V gouge which is powdered metalurgy and cryo treated for about 20$ less then the name brands , unhandled . I have a 3/4 Ellsworthw/60 degree angle ( double ground ) and use it for reaching way over the tr.
    John 3:16

I like the 3/8" and 1/2" Thompson V-flute bowl gouge.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mike,

I turn on a mini. I have 2 favorites.

A Robert Larson 3/8" bowl gouge and a Robert Larson 3/4" straight skew. I often thought of buying a bigger bowl gouge but a more knowledgeable, experienced and talented turner than I suggested that it would be a waste on the h/p of a small mini.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    3/8" and 1/2" Glaser

Simple for me...... a round nose scraper.

My Discover Card

My skew, for sure.

I like my 3/8" spindle gouge with fingernail grind, too, but if you're only giving me one, it'll be my skew.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

My Ellsworth gouges. No question. 95% of my turning gets done with them. Most of the rest is with a parting tool or a small, custom "pointy" gouge of Ellsworth attribution for parting and detail work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    My skew, for sure.

I like my 3/8" spindle gouge with fingernail grind, too, but if you're only giving me one, it'll be my skew.
    I will need to learn how to do tight coves with a skew.

Gordon

I'm not going to suggest anything except that you steer away from the Sorby hollowing tool. It's called a Sorby Hollowmaster but I think Andy Hoyt most appropriately named it a Hollowbastard. And I second that opinion. There are far better hollowing systems available nowdays than that. If I had to name a tool that I thought was my least favorite tool, it would be that one.