Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bear resting on a log

A bear resting on a log

This piece, that I finished yesterday, is nothing particularly special and I wasn't even going to post a picture of it. However, this is such a visual group that I figured "What the heck" and if it turns out nobody is interested then it just won't be viewed. Nothing lost. This, BTW, is as close as I get to production work.

This is one of my best selling carvings. Therefore, I keep two on hand at all times. This means, when I sell one I make another one as soon as possible. I sold one about three weeks ago so it was time to make another. I should point out that none of these pieces are "exactly" alike but they are certainly very similar to each other, both in size and style. At this stage, I can almost make one in my sleep.

I normally carve these from aspen but I happened to have a couple of pieces of basswood that I was able to glue up to come up with the appropriate size so I used that. The eyes are glass and the piece is finished by wood burning, several coats of acrylic washes until the desired color is achieved and completed with four coats of a matte acrylic sealer. I used to finish these without the use of paint, only pyrography, but that is so time consuming that I don't do that any more. It makes the piece so expensive that you can hardly get anyone to pay the price and, I found out, nobody really cares if it is finished with paint or no paint.

Anyhow, here it is.

Wolf
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am still thoroughly awed.
    What craftsmanship!

_Aaron_

Wolf, your carvings are amazing. I do not have any kind of talent for that whatsoever, so I am even more impressed at how difficult it must be to produce such masterpieces. I know it is easy to say "I just visualize a bear on a log, then cut away everything else", but unless you have an artistic eye, as you do, it is next to impossible for the mere mortal.

Very impressive work!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Once again Wolf, I am amazed at your artistic ablility. That is a cute little critter! The realism that you are able to capture in your Carvings is wonderful. Thanks again for sharing your gift Wolf.........I cannot imagine anything that you carve being not worthy of posting a picture of. Looking forward to the next one. Speaking of the next one, have you created anything to top the Sexy Anna Canna Tuna yet?

nothing particularly special

Yeah right! Wolf - you need to understand that everyone is not blessed with the talent you are. I look at something as "simple" as that bear on a log & just know that I could not do it. I mean I look at some of the fine furniture & turnings & say - I think I could learn to do that. but your carvings enter into the realm of the gift of being an artist & that I aint. Again I am awed by the talent & patience that it must take to produce something like that, even something that comes close to production carving. Very nice work as usual.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Very Well Done!

Those eyes follow me wherever I go!
    Rusty Hughes

Thumbs up

Wolf,

That may be "nothing special" to you, but it is most definately special to me! And the fact that you could almost carve that in your sleep speaks volumes about your talent.

As always, awesome!

Bob

what everyone else said ... dang.

b

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gerstenecker
    Once again Wolf, I am amazed at your artistic ablility. That is a cute little critter! The realism that you are able to capture in your Carvings is wonderful. Thanks again for sharing your gift Wolf.........I cannot imagine anything that you carve being not worthy of posting a picture of. Looking forward to the next one. Speaking of the next one, have you created anything to top the Sexy Anna Canna Tuna yet?
    Thank you for the kind words, folks.

Kevin,

The answer to that question is no. As I mentioned when I posted her pic, that is not my design (it is Ronnie Reed's) and I only carved her because I like her so much I had to have one for myself. Normally, I don't carve any kind of caricature, it's just not my thing. I have ordered a piece of basswood, however, which I will probably pick up at the Grapevine show in March, so I can carve a companion piece to her, a cowboy. She just cries out for a boyfriend, doesn't she? If it turns out, I will post a picture of him. I have a design in mind, have just not committed it to paper yet. I hope to have it completed late this year.

You might be interested in hearing, I read a report recently that Ronnie entered his original of Anna Canna Tuna in last year's Caricature Carvers of America show at Dollywood and won third best-of-show. That is pretty impressive.

Wolf

I am jealous, i couldn't carve the log if i started out with one. Beautiful work.
    Jim Carpenter
    "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

Nice work wolf, when ya gonna carve a wolf?

ace

Wow ! Great expression on the bear ...great work!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Wow Woof! That is impressive! I too am awed by something that I'm sure (right!) I could do with about 1000 bf of log and maybe another 50 years of life with several hours a day to work on it. I guess I just can't visualize something like this until I actually see it. Then there is the problem with making my hands remove what I want removed. I will just stay with flat stuff. Awesome!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Karner
    Nice work wolf, when ya gonna carve a wolf?

ace
    Been there, done that, Ace. Only problem is, they aren't very good. Couple examples below.

I bought a study poster a few years ago, which has been posted in the shop all these years, that shows various attitudes and expressions, skeletal structure, anatomical features, etc. I have always had intentions, still do in fact, of carefully studying the wolf and make myself an expert in sculpting this great animal. Just haven't gotten around to it. Hell, I just got around to perfecting my bears a couple of years ago, that took a few years. Seems I bought a lathe and turning got in the way of study. Durn

Wolf
    Attached Images Attached Images

You never cease to amaze me, Wolf...awesome carvings!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...