Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Work Bench

Blog Entries

Interesting Work Bench

Hey, I chaperoned my kids class field trip today. We went to the Creation Museum: http://www.creationmuseum.org/

As we were walking through the "Noah and Ark Building" section my eye caught what there rendering of a Work Bench may have been like. I took these photos. I was so interested I actually found my self past the ropes onto the exhibit taking pictures and working the 'parts.' It is an actual working ... work bench. I thought you all would like a peek:

Below is a picture of the underneath.

Here is the 'Wheel' system for it:

Nice

It a little hard to tell from the pictures, but is the vise cam accuated? Give us a little prose on how it operates.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    That camlock vise is the coolest! I love that idea.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Blog Entries
    Yes, it is a cam. I just wrote the museum and asked if there were any plans/patterns/instructions on building one.

When I hear from them, I'll post their reply.

Sorry I didn't get better pictures, but then again, I was not even suppose to be up there on the display platform.

The vise slides freely in and out quite a bit. There are peg holes for stops down the middle of the bench. So you 'peg' your vise to an appropriate spot for the size of your working piece with the cam 'open' then to tighten down, you push the cam in.
    Last edited by Jon Lanier; 09-13-2007 at 5:04 PM.

Neat! I do 18th century re-enactments as a windsor chair maker. The technology the old guys had, really worked well. The old guys did amazing things with what little they had. That's part of my interest in hand tools. They work really well if you know how sharpen and tune them.

Thanks for sharing
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries

Update

I got a letter back from Tim Lovett who designed the work bench. As soon the Museum is set up to take orders for it's Gift Shop and DVD division. They are going to put the CAD drawings up to sell as well. As a favor, Tim already sent me the CAD drawings. WOW! Is this ever cool.

Unfortunately I can't send them off or put them up anywhere due to the copywrite deal.
    Here is an interesting picture he sent along with the drawings:

That really IS awesome! Aint it amazing that the older the workbench, the more advanced it is?

Jon,

Any idea how long it will be before they are set up to sell the plans? I'm getting ready to build a bench and I think there might be a couple of design elements on that bench I'd like to use. I can't wait for too long though!

Cool

Jon, that is one amazing bench. I'd love to see a set of plans as well. Thanks for sharing.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bukoski View Post
    Jon,

Any idea how long it will be before they are set up to sell the plans? I'm getting ready to build a bench and I think there might be a couple of design elements on that bench I'd like to use. I can't wait for too long though!
    Sorry Justin, I don't know when that would be. I'll post it here when I do know something.

-Jon

I would like some bigger pictures if you can provide them.
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

Hey, that is really cool.... slightly off topic is this guy who I think is just amazing.

http://www.theforgottentechnology.com/

I'm fascinated by benches and vises, so I'm trying to figure out how this would work.

It's an over the top cam action, like a bicycle quick release or a cam action clamp like this one.aaaaa_1969_19567673 (400 x 312).jpg

They work great, but they have a very limited range where they provide any clamping force. Even for that massive cam, much less than an inch I'd think. The dog holes are at least four inches apart. There are dog holes at multiple depths on the vise jaw itself, so that extends it a bit. Perhaps they use wedges to get things in place then the clamp for final tightening.

Any ideas? Is this an old idea or a new one?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Petersen View Post
    I would like some bigger pictures if you can provide them.
    This is the best I can do. The only other thing I could do is travel 1.5 hour south and take some more. These should be thumbnails, just click for the larger pic.

Last edited by Jon Lanier; 09-22-2007 at 1:40 AM.

15. Talking Yahoo!

I am so glad someone else saw this! I went a few weeks ago and it was so crowded that I did not have alot of time to take all the bench in. I am going back with my kids in November during the week when it is slower and am going to get some better pictures also. I am pleased to hear CAD drawings will be available.
    Also the whole section on the tools and construction of the ark is great. This museum is such a blessing!
    "Simplicity is at the heart of so much that is fine"
    James Krenov