Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench: What are the holes for?

Question Workbench: What are the holes for?

Hi everybody, (My first post...)
    I bought an old workbench a few years ago. I have no idea how old it is.
    I think it is a French design, like the Roubo bench.
    I did not notice it at the time (novice mistake) but the top is convex ,over the lengh, for about 15 mm on each side.
    I am going to make a new one based on this design. I will post my progress..

Now in the design stage I am facing a mistry : What are the holes in BOTH sides of the bench used for?
    I have looked all over the web and local library - nothing - not a hint.
    Anybody got any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are so you can put pencils in them and have one handy at either end of the table....

I might say they are side "bench dogs" but it does not appear there is a vise at the end which would be used to clamp against the bench dogs inserted in the holes. I have these on the bench I use (side bench dog holes that is) but I also have a full width vise with a corresponding hole in the moveable part of the vise.

Ken

Hi Erik, and welcome to SMC.

Perhaps they held supports for working long stock held by the leg vise. Is there a leg vise on both sides? Or perhaps a way to extend the work surface for larger area? That's my guesses anyway...

It's good to see you've joined us all the way from Gent I spend a fair bit of time in the Netherlands (Amsterdam, Den Haag, Eindhoven and Delft) and Belgium (Brussels) and have many friends living in Brussels and Rotterdam.

For us curious folks, how about showing us your shop and maybe some of your work?

Cheers

Erik, You don't start out with questions that have easy answers do you. I just looked through a book I have on workbenches that have some of the old leg vise types and I do not see side holes on any of them. I am sure that someone here has the answer------maybe. It could be a one of a kind for a specific application.

I was just wondering about the quality of the aged wood in that bench. Is it good enough that you might consider using a router sled or something and flatten the top and then refinish the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik De Vocht View Post
    I did not notice it at the time (novice mistake) but the top is convex ,over the lengh, for about 15 mm on each side.

Now in the design stage I am facing a mistry : What are the holes in BOTH sides of the bench used for?
    Viola Erik..

Based on what I can see in the picture, you have a classic leg vice on the left side as the picture is viewed. The holes are spaced down the side of the table to insert wooden "rest" inserts for a piece of stock to rest on while clamped in the vice on edge. The closest would be for short stock and farther out to accomodate longer stock, etc.

This is used to "shoot" (joint) the edges of the stock with a # 7 or # 8 hand-plane for a square edge as we do with face jointers for the most part now. I have some similar on my bench for jointing edges as a perfect glue joint can be had using that method by placing two pieces of stock together in the vice and shooting the edges that will meet in a glued up panel together. It results in a nice "butt kiss" of edges when you actually do the glue-up.

You mentioned building a new top as it is convex by 15 mm or 9/16". I wouln't as it would take away from the authenticity of the original bench. I would just "hog off" (scrub plane) the majority and flatten it with a #7 jointer when you get it down within a few mm. Some Watco oil and yor're ready to work.

Wood is going to move over time and even if you build a new flat top, eventually yiou will have to flatten it using the same method or something simlar.

Ehbien...

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 09-14-2007 at 12:41 AM.

Hi Erik. Welcome to the forum. Coincidentally, my wife is heading to Belgium this Sunday for a 8 day vacation. I don't believe they have a fixed itinerary except to stay away from the F-1 race. Do you have any must see recomendations for her?

Thanks

Peter

More info...

Thank you for your replys.
    As for the question of restoration - I don't think so -
    I included a few pictures with some measurements. The outside (both sides) is 42 mm the middle is 33 mm. You can see from the first foto I would need to take at least about 10 - 12 mm off. That would leave about 20 mm in the middle.
    An other problem, it has fresh wormholes all over the bench except for the top. They do not want to go away even after 5 liters of anti-worm chemical. AND the top is cover in little nails stuck into the wood. It would damage any plane or routerbit. No I think it is time to make a replacement..
    Btw did you notice the crack running from the hole to the bottom? Somebody must have put a lot of pressure on it once.

Welcome to Belgium....:-)
    Your wife should see Gent or Brugge. And she should have some of our beer...
    If she would like a guided tour of Gent please email me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid View Post
    Hi Erik, and welcome to SMC.

For us curious folks, how about showing us your shop and maybe some of your work?

Cheers
    Here are some pictures of my Secretaire 'masterpiece' I made for my furniture degree, 3 year course.
    It is made of Khaya (African Mahogany). About 200 hours of work.
    My wife loves it...

And she should have some of our beer...
    Absolutely!!!! Some of the finest brews in the world, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Erik-
    My wife insists that she refuses to be inhibited to a schedule. Plus, she is also going to be tracking with a Mother in Law and two Sisters In Law (to me, actually at least one of them is an actual sister) so thanks for the offer. If you want to pm (private message) me a contact I am sure they will be in Gent eventually and might work up the courage to contact you. Otherwise, it is only thier loss and thanks again for the offer.

Thanks

Peter..

ps. Beautiful work. Don't let SWMBO see it

oooooooppppppps............ I let her see this post

After a lot of work I finally have my workbench finnished. I am still thinking of some additions but it works great. I found a use for the holes (as Serge suggested)
    Here are two pictures

Erik

It's beautiful. Not much left of the old bench but the concept. I doubt that the initial crack from the corner to the bottom of the bench top came from holding boards on end to be jointed. Perhaps the top was made from boards salvaged from and old building and in construction those mortices held some structual members.

Nice work

I like your secretaire. Great wood, and a very subtle disguise of a working desk.

Wish I could help on the bench, but you may have found the leftover marks from a shop solution by some mad but solitary genius who never wrote it down.