Thread: Changing speed of 14" Delta Bandsaw

Changing speed of 14" Delta Bandsaw

I am selling an older 14" Delta (28-275C) bandsaw. A potential buyer would ideally like to have a blade speed of 1500fpm. Currently it has a 1725RPM motor, a 2.8" drive pulley and a 6" driven pulley.

My calcluations indicate it is currently running around 2850fpm and that to change it to 1500 would require a 12" driven pulley or perhaps changing to 2"/8" drive/driven pulleys.

Does anyone have any experience in doing this? Is there a minimum size for the drive pulley? Or is there some simple alternative method of reducing the speed.

thanks,

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Take a look at this site. http://gadi.agric.za/software/renting/pulley.php It should give you all the information you are looking for.

Thanks Ted but that site doesn't provide any details on the minimum size for a v-belt pulley. At some size I suspect it becomes difficult to efficiently transfer sufficient power (3/4HP).

Greg

Have you checked into a 1140 rpm motor & larger pulley?

The way I have set it up on my Delta Bandsaw is to put a 3 phase motor and a VFD on it. Works very well. If you need a calculator, this one works well.

http://www.owwm.com/Math/SFPM.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    Have you checked into a 1140 rpm motor & larger pulley?
    Thanks Chris. I had a quick look and I'll certainly recommend that as a possible solution. It looks like they are close to double the price of a 1725RPM motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Butler View Post
    The way I have set it up on my Delta Bandsaw is to put a 3 phase motor and a VFD on it. Works very well. If you need a calculator, this one works well.

http://www.owwm.com/Math/SFPM.asp
    Another good option. Thanks!

You should have no problem selling that saw. I'm assuming this prospective buyer wants to be sure it can be changed to suit him. I would not change it as the seller.

If 2"/8" will fit inside the belt guard, it could be done but he'd want a cogged (AX) belt in order to get around the small pulley.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    You should have no problem selling that saw. I'm assuming this prospective buyer wants to be sure it can be changed to suit him. I would not change it as the seller.

If 2"/8" will fit inside the belt guard, it could be done but he'd want a cogged (AX) belt in order to get around the small pulley.

Pete
    Thanks Pete,

No I wasn't planning to make any changes I just want to eliminate any potential obstacles.

Greg