Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on how to shrink swollen biscuits?

Suggestions on how to shrink swollen biscuits?

Anybody have any ideas? I don't use them all that often, but keep them in the container they came in. I'm always searching through the pile looking for ones that still will fit in the slots, and am left with the ones too swollen to use. I hate the idea of throwing them away. So waht do you guys do?

TIA,

DAve

Dave,

Toss them in the microwave for 15 seconds or so and it should help significantly.

Put them in vise (machinist/steel) and flatten them out.
    David

Buy new and don't waste any more time would be my advise. Keep them sealed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Buy new and don't waste any more time would be my advise. Keep them sealed up.
    I've bought new and some of them are still tight fits, doesn't take but a couple seconds to flatten them a bit in a vise.
    David

From what I've read, there's no going back. Once the wood has swollen the water can be taken out but it will still retain the same shape. I never tried putting beating one with a hammer or putting it in a vice but for the price of a biscuit I wouldn't worry with it

However, it may be a case of the biscuits not being made to very close tolerances. If you have ones from the same batch treated the same they should all be the same size....fit or not fit. I am working on a batch now that are that way, because I buy the cheap PC brand.

BTW, there have been threads here wondering about tight fitting biscuits swelling and splitting the wood. Some of the ones I have used have been tight enough to have to tap them in with a hammer, and out of the thousands I've used I've never had a problem with splitting or had a noticeable "hump" in the wood where the biscuit swells. But everything I make that gets biscuited gets sanded flat later so if there should happen to be one it would get taken out anyway.

Talking

Consider using less yeast next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mann View Post
    Consider using less yeast next time.
    LOL

id say oven or microwave, dry them suckers out

Doesn't help the immediate problem, but next batch put the extras in a ziplock back in the container, and if you have some packages of the dessacant (sp?) material, throw some in the bag too. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I typicall paw through the can I keep them in and find ones that fit and when feel that there are not many left, throw the lot in the trash and buy more. Wasteful I know but that is what I do.

Thinking out of the box...

Bird Toys - I have an African Grey parrot that loves to chew on small blocks of wood.

Kid Toys - Let the kids paint them and make a mobile out them.

And then if all else fails - fire starters...

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    Bird Toys - I have an African Grey parrot that loves to chew on small blocks of wood.
    Ooooh! I'm going to have to try that one out...I have a bunch of biscuits that are so old they are growing a beard, figuratively speaking, of course. Tosca and Spike might love to rip them to shreds!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    They're kindling in my opinion. They're not expensive enough for me to risk a piece I've put X number of hours into. As Jim pointed out; got any friends with hookbill birds? JMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I dont even bother trying to fix things on the biscuit end. If I find I have a bunch that are swelled a bit or just out of tolerance, I just plunge the biscuit joiner twice in the same location. It's usually all I need to make the slot a few thou wider and fit the biscuits. Just dont get tippy with the cutter or the 2nd cut will open it up too much & then you've got the other problem.
    Use the fence Luke

I stack ten at a time together and put them in my metal vise.
    Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution